Southport Reporter Bourder
Your free online newspaper for Merseyside...  

Read our Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy

Email | Latest edition | Archive | Terms & Conditions

Business Index Search




Latest Edition

Back to Archive

Please beware that this is an archived news page.

This page has been archived as a historical record only.


Some features and links on this page might no longer be functioning.

© 2000-2013

PCBT Photography

Southport Reporter® is the Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope.

Get your Google PageRank

Southport Reporter®

Edition No. 118

Date:- 27 September 2003

Your news... Your words...

Email us your stories and news!

EDF Promises Blown Away...

A REGIONAL director of electricity regulator has challenged power companies to shape up their act in the latest round of electricity blackouts to hit the country. 

In response to the news that more than 35,000 consumers had experienced a blackout in the East and South East of England, Regional Director of energywatch North West, David Sidebottom, said:- “EDF Energy has promised that it has learnt its lesson since storms last October caused mass power blackouts. Yet at the first sign of any wind and rain, 35,500 customers have been left in the dark.”

Sidebottom is challenging local distributors (United Utilities, Aquila, East Midlands Electricity & Power Systems) to check and double check their storm recovery plans to ensure that any disruption to consumers is minimised and managed efficiently. 

Sidebottom said:- “Consumers need to know is whether or not the region’s distributors are actually better prepared for the storms of the future. It’s actions not words that are needed to prevent the chaos we saw last year. If they’re not properly prepared , the distributors should tell us now, so that we can all stock up on candles.” 

He added:- “Thousands of customers could not get through to EDF Energy last night to find out when they would have electricity again. In the East of England, over a third of all consumers calling were unable to get through. My concern is that North West consumers should not face the same the fate.”

Energywatch North West is calling for a fully backed up communications system that can provide timely and helpful information to customers and management procedures that ensure power is back on as quickly and efficiently as possible.

(Advert)    Click on to see Alamir Bistro    (Advert)


Ashton United v Southport FC
Saturday September 20th 2003, By Sally Devine

Southport Team:- Dickinson, Williams, Atkinson, Whitworth, Jones, Pickford, Soley, Mulvaney, Ashcroft, Beesley & Wright.

The Match

THIS was the first time these two sides had met at Hurst Cross - Ashton United's ground.

The game kicked off in overcast conditions, light drizzle continuing throughout the match. Southport gave a debut to their new signing from Preston North End, Graeme Atkinson playing at left back.

The Sandgrounders began brightly, Mark Beesley heading wide and Ashcroft also coming close. Steve Soley (Southport Captain) departed the field on 25 minutes injured, Paul Haddow coming on as his replacement.

Urged on by a large travelling contingent of fans, Southport's portents of what looked to be a legitimate penalty fell on referee Mr Bonneys deaf ears. Ashcroft was clearly upended in the penalty area.

Dickinson was called into action saving well from a fierce shot from Ashton's Denning.

The second half saw Southport take the lead. This time a penalty was given when Lee Ashcroft was again fouled, he promptly despatched the ball past the helpless Ashton goalkeeper. The home side replied with an equalizer in less than 2 minutes, Denning hitting the mark from close range.
Southport made 2 substitutions, Peter Thomson replacing Lee Mulvaney and Andy Whittaker joining in the fray for the last 7 minutes.

The yellows missed a golden opportunity to win the match when Thomson, having rounded the goalkeeper, shot into the side netting and held his head in his hands in anguish.

Worse was to come, in the 94th minute Ashton broke clear, the Southport defense failed to stop Garrey and Dormer was there to send home crowd wild with the decisive winner.

This was the fifth defeat leaves Southport in 9th place in the Unibond Premier, promotion slipping away dramatically.

Result 2-1 Unibond Premier League

Southport Reporter is a registered Trade Mark.   Copyright © Patrick Trollope 2003.