free web stats
Your free online newspaper for Merseyside...  

Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy

Email | Latest edition | Archive

New service will be added soon.




Latest Edition

Back to Archive

Please beware that this is an archived news page.

This page has been archived as a historical record only.


Some features and links on this page might no longer be functioning.

© 2000-2013

PCBT Photography

Southport Reporter® is the Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope.

Get your Google PageRank

Southport Reporter® covering the news on Merseyside.

Date:- 13 February 2006

Your news... Your words...

Email us your stories and news!

Peter Brown Craven Minor League

Match Reports for week ending February 5
Under 11

Following last weeks mini upset Town Green needed to get back to winning ways.  They found Redgate to be a tough nut to crack and in particular goalkeeper Zak Ball was in formidable form. Tom Peterson eventually got things going with a well taken goal and followed it up with three more (one from the spot) sandwiched by an Elliot Peet strike all in the first half.

James McGregor entered the proceedings for the second half and soon stamped his mark on the game. Aided by Jack Arundel and Jay Francis, he twice got himself onto the score sheet to put the game beyond doubt.

Managers Men of the Match were Ben Hodkinson for Redgate and Vinnie Holligan for Town Green.

Under 9

Rainford v Redgate in the Wilf Jenkinson Cup was a hard fought match that saw Redgate run out the eventual winners, on a pitch where space was at a premium. Redgate started off the stronger putting pressure on the Rainford defence who held out well and setting up their forwards with some good clearances. The first goal of the match coming from one these with the Rainford striker pouncing on indecision in the Redgate defence to score. Redgate immediately went looking for the equaliser and this soon came from Sam Bennett scoring with a trademark freekick that gave Rainford's excellent keeper no chance.

The second half began with both teams trying to increase their scores. Ryan Walker in goal for Redgate supported his defence and commanded his area well during this period. Rainford were first to break the deadlock in the second half with a well taken freekick from the edge of the area. This stung Redgate into action and they battled back forcing numerous corners.  ...continued...

...continued... Craig Lowe ghosted in at the back of one of these corners and struck a sweet left foot volley to score Redgate's second goal and was soon followed by Chris Muir who scored the third with a great strike. Rainford were desperate to get the equaliser but left themselves open at the back leaving Dan Abdous to run in and claim Redgates fourth goal. A good match played in good spirit it was just sad there had to be a loser. Town Green the current leaders of the Eagles Division hosted Formby currently in second in this Cup quarter final. Town Green started slowly and were soon put under pressure by Formby's Matthew Hamilton who battled for every ball and caused the Town Green defense many problems. After ten minutes Hamilton picked up the ball just inside the Town Green half and was allowed to waltz his way through the defense and slot the ball home. Soon after a corner from Formby saw George Apel rise to nod in a second.

In the second half Town Green rearranged themselves and began to apply the pressure. A shot from Adam Townson shaved the post and a glorious save from Charlie Stoker's snap shot denied them yet again. With time running out Town Green threw everything at Formby but just couldn't get that breakthrough. A fantastic cup tie.

Under 8

Town Green ‘A’ bagged 5 goals without reply against Redgate ‘B’. Tom Pearce opened the scoring as he dribbled the ball through the Redgate defence and
placed the ball out of the keepers reach and into the net. Town Green played a passing game and the Redgate keeper was resilient in goal until Ryan Dwyer collected the ball off a corner and finished clinically from a few yards out. Town Green closed the half with another as Pearce took his chance for his second and a 3-0 lead.

Sam Mulholland and Joel Maxwell were creating chances for the hard working Joel Day, but it was Kieran Dowell who switched the ball cross field for Tom Pearce, who with the goal in his sight, fired it past the keeper for his hat trick. In the last telling move of the game, Dowell won a tackle from just inside the Redgate half of the pitch, he surged forward and showed strength on the ball and accuracy in his shot to score and record a 5-0 win for Town Green.
Email Us Your News Now

 Get Skype and get calling today!