free web stats
Your free online newspaper for Merseyside...  

Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy

Email | Latest edition | Archive

New service will be added soon.




Latest Edition

Back to Archive

Please beware that this is an archived news page.

This page has been archived as a historical record only.


Some features and links on this page might no longer be functioning.

© 2000-2013

PCBT Photography

Southport Reporter® is the Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope.

Get your Google PageRank

Southport Reporter® covering the news on Merseyside.

Date:- 13 February 2006

Your news... Your words...

Email us your stories and news!


THE FAST actions of Merseyside Police officers on 28 January 2006 ensured the safety of a man who faced death after being bitten by his pet snake.

The victim fell seriously ill after receiving a potentially lethal bite from his Green Maba, a snake whose venom can kill with speed. He was
rushed to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital in South Wales while life-saving anti-venom was sought.

A call came into Merseyside Police at 9:30pm after the Royal Liverpool University Hospital was identified as 1 of only 2 such sites nationally that could provide appropriate medication. Faced with the challenge of transporting the product from Liverpool to Wales, Merseyside Police drew on the force helicopter for emergency assistance.

With time of the essence, response officers transferred the package from Liverpool Hospital to Speke Airport, where members of Merseyside Police Air Support Unit prepared for take off. The flight to Cardiff Airport took just over an hour, with South Wales police on stand by to collect the medicine and make the final part of the journey to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

The victim’s condition was, at this point, worsening. Medical staff explained that those infected with poison of this nature remain high risk up to and including 24 hours after being bitten.   Fortunately, due to the coordinated efforts by officers involved, anti-venom was received before conditions grew critical and the man is now making a steady recovery. 

Sgt Martin Russell from the Air Support Unit said:- “The response and professionalism of the officers involved is highly commendable.  Quick thinking and close liaison between Merseyside Police and South Wales Police ensured that emergency medical supplies were received within a time which thankfully saved a man’s life.  This is an example of officers working together throughout the country and demonstrates the real value of the Air Support Unit.”


MERSEYSIDE Police are appealing for witnesses to a theft in Southport.

At about 8pm on Wednesday 25 January 2006, a 61 year old local lady was returning home following a meeting at Southport Town Hall. As she travelled along Lord Street, towards Neville Street she became aware of 3 girls standing in the entrance to the Britannia Building Society on
Lord Street. As she passed the girls one of them asked her for the time.  She indicated to the girls that she was not wearing a watch.

One of the girls then intimated that the victim had dropped paperwork and that she was helping to put it into her bag. At that point the victim felt
a hand in her jacket pocket and her purse being removed from it. She grabbed hold of the offenders arm and managed to take it out of her pocket.  The 3 girls then left the scene, empty handed.

The girls were described as being white and aged in their late teens to early 20s. 2 of the girls wore jeans and knee length boots, whilst the 3rd wore a multicoloured skirt, with sequins on the bottom. It is believed they all spoke with Liverpool accents.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or saw the girls hanging around outside the Building Society at around the time of the incident is asked to contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


MERSEYSIDE Police are appealing for information about an attempted abduction in Southport.

At about 9am on Thursday the 2 February 2006 a 13 year old local girl was walking along Sussex Road in the direction of Meols Cop. As walking she was approached by a white man in a blue car. The man pulled up alongside her and tried to talk to her. The girl continued to walk on and as she reached the junction with Lansdowne Road the car turned left and drove down it. The man called the girl over to the vehicle and offered her a lift. The girl refused and the offender tried to get hold of the girls hand. The girl pulled away and ran off onto Sussex Road. The car ran off in the direction of Southport.

Although the girl was not injured she was shocked by the incident.

The offender is described as being white, 25 yrs old, of thin build, about 5'6" with short dark coloured spikey hair, brown eyes and appeared to have a sun tan. He was wearing a blue tracksuit and had a gold chain around his
neck. He spoke with a local accent.

Anyone with any information PLEASE contact Crimestoppers for free on 0800 555 111.

Jamie Carragher and O2 help Merseyside Police to keep in touch

LIVERPOOL and England football hero Jamie Carragher was happy to join local O2 store managers Jonathan Beckett and Peter May as they presented 60 mobile phones to Merseyside Police's Chief Superintendent Dave Lewis.

O2 has donated the phones and free airtime to Merseyside Police in support of a new neighbourhood police project across Sefton - the area that Jamie is from and was recently awarded the freedom of. The phones will allow members of the public to contact their dedicated community officers whenever they are on duty.

Chief Super Dave Lewis said:- "We're very grateful to O2 for the donation of these phones as they will be invaluable in allowing our officers to keep in touch with the local community in Sefton. My officers are working towards reassuring the residents of Sefton and making the borough a safer place for them to live in. With innovative schemes like this, we'll be better equipped to do so."

Learn to dive the BSAC way with OSAC

Email Us Your News Now

 Get Skype and get calling today!