England Team Help Tackle Male Cancer
THE ENGLAND Football Team is helping to tackle male cancer
during the Keep Your Eye on The Ball awareness fortnight, which kicks off on Monday 6 March, by urging footie fans to be more
aware of the signs and symptoms of testicular and prostate cancer.
The awareness fortnight, which is run by The Professional
Footballers' Association, The Football Association and The Everyman
Campaign, comes as they announce survey findings that show only 28%
of men check their testicles regularly for signs of testicular
cancer - a worrying fact given that if caught early enough
testicular cancer is 99% curable.
The survey, conducted by The Everyman Male Cancer Campaign, also
found that a shocking 95% of men and women agreed that men are less
informed about male cancer than women are about female cancers. Over
60% of men also said that health matters were the least likely
topics of conversation they would have with their friends.
However, over half of the men surveyed said they would feel
comfortable visiting their GP if they found a lump on their
testicles and only 16% admitted to being fearful and reluctant to
go, which could be a sign that men's attitudes towards health issues
are changing. A similar survey conducted by Everyman last year also
revealed that only 19% of men checked their testicles regularly. So
whilst the number of men checking themselves regularly remains low,
there are signs that awareness in men is increasing.
The England goal-keeper and campaign ambassador, David James,
commented:- "I support Keep Your Eye On The Ball
because it is important to make the fans and players aware of male
cancer. Testicular cancer is the most common cancer to affect men
between 20-35 years old, the average career span of a footballer.
The good news is that if caught early enough, it is curable in 99%
of cases. That's why it is important for Keep Your Eye On The
Ball to continue to raise awareness, which will help save lives."
Keep Your Eye on The Ball was set-up over 4 years ago in
response to low awareness levels and after several high profile
players including Jason Cundy, Alan Stubbs and Neil Harris were
diagnosed with testicular cancer. Each year an awareness fortnight
is held (which is running from 6 - 19 March) where Clubs and
Associations are encouraged to help raise awareness to fans by
displaying posters, information leaflets and adverts in match-day
programmes. Over 60 league Clubs and Associations are participating
in the campaign this year.
Simone Pound from The Professional Footballers' Association
commented:- "This campaign is one that The PFA initiated and
we are proud that so many of our members are working to raise
awareness of male cancers. It is particularly important for us to
demonstrate that professional footballers are not immune: Jason
Cundy, Neil Harris, Alan Stubbs and Craig Forrest have battled and
successfully combated testicular cancer. If we can continue to raise
awareness in this way football and footballers can play a vital role
in men's health."
Phil Smith from The Football Association commented:- "Male
cancers are too often ignored and overlooked and that's why we
decided to make Everyman an official charity of The FA. Through
Keep Your Eye on The Ball we can use the power of football to
raise awareness to a huge audience and ultimately save lives."
In the time it takes to play one 90 minute game of football, more
than one man in the UK will have died of prostate cancer and it has
now overtaken lung cancer to become the UK's most common cancer
diagnosed in men.
Cases of testicular cancer have risen dramatically in the last 20
years, but the causes of this increase are not known. Thanks to
advances made at The Everyman Centre - Europe's first and only
centre dedicated to male cancer and part of The Institute of Cancer
Research - testicular cancer is 99% curable if caught early enough.
That's why it is important to make men aware of the signs and
symptoms to look out for as early diagnosis can save lives.
LEONARD CHESHIRE EXPANDS VOLUNTEER ACTIVITY
DISABILITY charity Leonard Cheshire has been awarded a
£287,164 grant by the Big Lottery Fund. The money will fund the
expansion of the charity’s volunteer support team in the North West,
enabling local disabled people to take part in activities of their
Leonard Cheshire has 21 services in the North West, providing
support to 750 service users. The charity is looking to quadruple
the number of volunteers in the region.
The grant will fund 5 new part-time Volunteer Co-ordinator posts and
an increase in hours for the one existing Volunteer Co-ordinator,
giving a team of 6. They will be responsible for recruiting,
training and managing all new and existing volunteers. The
grant will also fund a full time Training and Development Officer in
the North West, who will be responsible for delivering Leonard
Cheshire’s recently launched UK-wide volunteer induction programme.
The scheme has been tailored so that it can be offered at flexible
times to fit around volunteers’ busy lifestyles.
Jill Kershaw, Regional Volunteer Support Manager for Leonard
Cheshire’s North West Region, comments:- ‘The enthusiasm and
talent that volunteers bring make a real difference to the lives of
our service users. The Big Lottery grant will help us to expand our
volunteering arm in the North West and deliver a wider range of
activities to the disabled people we support. We hope the flexible
new volunteer induction programme will encourage more people to
offer their time and skills to Leonard Cheshire.’
Michelle McNamee, Big Lottery Fund Head of North West region, said:-
‘We are delighted to award Leonard Cheshire this funding to
expand their volunteer network. Volunteers play a vital role in
communities and with this grant they will be helping people to
integrate fully into community life.’
To find out more about Leonard Cheshire volunteering opportunities
in the North West, please contact Jill Kershaw, Regional Volunteer
Support Manager, on 0151 342 9155 or email
renewals for merseyrail network
PASSENGERS using the Northern line between Southport and
Birkdale are set to benefit from smoother and quieter journeys when
the current track is upgraded.
The £1 million scheme to install ‘continuously welded track’,
will end the familiar ‘clackety-clack’ noise on the existing
To allow the replacement work to take place, the line between
Southport and Formby stations will be closed from Saturday, March 24
until Monday, April 3 2006.
Andrew Skidmore, General Manager (Liverpool), said:- “This is
the 5th renewals scheme to be carried out on the Merseyrail network
in the last 2 years and demonstrates Network Rail’s continued
commitment to maintaining these busy lines and investing in the
railway in the north west.”
During the work:-
1,637 yards of track will be laid
2,300 sleepers will be replaced
5,000 tonnes of ballast will also be replaced
the scheme will be carried out over 810 manshifts
The work will also involve the temporary closure of Birkdale,
Aughton Road, Duke Street and Portland Street level crossings to
vehicles while the work is carried out.
The closure of these crossings has been carried out in consultation
with Sefton Borough Council and diversionary routes will be in
place. Arrangements are being made at each crossing for supervised
access for elderly and disabled people.
During the work a rail replacement service will be in operation
between Formby and Southport and at peak times an “express”
service will be in place between these points. At all other times
the replacement services will call at Freshfield, Ainsdale,
Hillside, Birkdale and Southport stations. The trains between Formby
and Liverpool Central/Hunts Cross will run as per the timetable.
Passengers should call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 484950 for
more information about rail replacement services.