Czech’s away! As Wizz Air commence Prague service
Eastern Europe’s largest low cost airline Wizz Air, who first
started operating from Liverpool in late 2004, have commenced their
latest route from Liverpool John Lennon Airport (JLA) with three
flights each week to Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic.
Flights operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, departing at
12:50pm, giving travellers to Prague convenient times and days of
the week for short breaks or business trips.
The Capital of the Czech Republic, Prague is one of the most popular
city break destinations in Europe with something on offer for
everyone. The beautifully preserved historic city has stunning
architecture and many famous sights such as Wenceslas Square, Prague
Castle and Charles Bridge. The Czech hospitality is legendary and
visitors are guaranteed a warm welcome to the trendy bars or cosy
traditional restaurants. Prague is also famed for its Christmas
markets which are among the best in the World and now for the first
time passengers are able to travel direct from Liverpool to
Wizz Air already operate popular flights to the Polish cities of
Warsaw, Katowice and Gdansk, carrying over 200,000 passengers on
their Liverpool services last year and recently celebrated their
fifth ‘birthday’ with passengers at JLA.
Neil Pakey, Deputy Chief Executive of Peel Airports, commented:-
“This new Prague service is important for both leisure and
business markets, linking the Liverpool City Region directly with
yet another European capital city. At a time when many airlines
across Europe are cutting back on services, Wizz Air clearly
recognise the opportunities to grow their business from here.”
John Stephenson, Executive Vice President of Wizz Air said:-
“Prague is one of Central and Eastern Europe’s most popular
destinations and as such is well connected from most of the UK’s
regions. We are delighted to be the airline offering a direct
connection for Liverpool to this booming cultural and economic
center. We are confident that this new service will be just as
popular as our existing routes from JLA to the CEE.”
INJURY SHOOTING, EAST PRESCOT ROAD
Police have confirmed that they are now appealing for witnesses and
information after a man was shot in the leg outside a bingo hall in
East Prescot Road, Dovecot, on the night of Saturday, 11 July 2009.
Officers were called to the Granada Bingo Club, also known as
'Bugsy's', at 9.53pm, following reports that a man had been
shot after confronting two youths on a scrambler bike. The
victim, a 65 year old man from the Dovecot area, suffered a minor
flesh wound to his lower left leg and was taken to hospital for
surgery. No-one else was hurt during the incident.
investigating the shooting believe the injury was caused by one of
four shots fired from what appeared to be a handgun by the pillion
passenger on the scrambler bike.
The incident occurred
after the victim, who works at the bingo hall, confronted a group of
youths outside the building. Detectives believe that after a
brief exchange of words, the victim followed two youths who were on
an orange and white scrambler bike as it drove away from the bingo
hall. Several seconds later, the driver then stopped and his
passenger dismounted and fired four shots, one of which hit the
victim in the calf, before getting back on and riding off down East
Prescot Road in the direction of Huyton.
Detective Chief Inspector Richie Davies, from the Force's anti-gun
and gang crime Matrix unit, said:- "This was a cowardly and
violent attack on a man who had been at work at the local bingo
hall. Fortunately, he suffered only minor injuries to his leg
and is recovering in hospital. However we take all incidents
of this nature extremely seriously and I would like to reassure the
community that we are determined to catch those responsible and get
them and the weapon that was used off our streets. I would
appeal to anyone who witnesses the incident or has any information
about who may be responsible to come forward. In particular I
would like to hear from anyone who saw anyone riding around the
local area on an orange and white CTM-model scrambler motorbike last
night to get in touch."
The scene has been cordonned off while forensic examinations
continue and the City-bound lane of East Prescot Road is expected to
remain closed until later today. Several bullet casings have
been found and will be forensically examined.
House to house
enquiries have also been carried and detectives are examining CCTV
from the bingo hall and the nearby shops.
Anyone who may have
information in relation to the incident is asked to call the
Merseyside Police gun crime hotline on:- 0800 458 1211, or
Crimestoppers on:- 0800 555 111.
CRANE COLLAPSE, BALTIC TRIANGLE, LIVERPOOL
IT is still
unclear as to why the crane collapsed, but a number of residents
have been allowed back to their apartments following the successful
removal of the damaged crane from the site over the weekend (11 July
to 12 July). Residents living at 31/33 Cornhill were told the
good news on Sunday 12 July 2009 and allowed back into their homes
at around 4pm. They were accompanied by police officers, who,
along with a private security firm, have kept the site safe and
secure since the incident occurred on 6 July 2009. The removal
of the damaged crane from the site and the heavy plant machinery
used in this phase of the operation, means that Park Lane has also
been able to be re-opened.
Work is now being planned by the partner
agencies to remove the damaged crane's counter-balance which is
still embedded in the building. Unfortunately for the
residents of 24/26 Cornhill, the building has been declared
structurally unsafe and they cannot be allowed to return yet for
safety reasons. Arrangements are in place to provide them with
a longer-term solution to their accommodation needs.
Superintendent Simon Irving from the
Force's Liverpool North Command Team, welcomed the excellent
progress made over the weekend. He said:- "I am
delighted that the crane has been completely removed from the site
this weekend and that this now means that some of the residents
affected can return to their homes before the start of the week.
People have been incredibly patient having undergone some serious
disruption to their lives and we are grateful to them for that.
This has been a difficult and complex operation requiring vast
levels of planning and expertise from all the agencies involved and
it is credit to that teamwork that this breakthrough has been made
ahead of schedule. Plans are now being put together to remove
the counter-balance which is still embedded in the damaged building
and unfortunately this means that it is still not safe for some
residents to return to their homes at 24/26 Cornhill. However
everything is being done to complete the operation as quickly and
safely as possible."