Updated over every
Wednesday night for every Thursday.
Your news... Your words...
20 January 2010
CHRISTMAS DRINK AND DRUG DRIVING RESULTS
Police have seen a reduction in the number of people driving while
under the influence of alcohol and drugs during its December drink
and drug drive campaign.
The Force launched a campaign, supported by Merseyside Fire and
Rescue Service and the North West Ambulance Service, running from 1
December 2010 to January 2011, to crackdown on those willing to put
lives in danger by getting behind the wheel while under the
influence of drink or drugs.
Officers stopped a record number of cars and performed the highest
amount of breath and drug tests to date as part of its campaign and
saw a fall in the number of drivers (a) for these offences.
Chief Inspector John Hogan, head of Merseyside Police's Roads
Policing Department, said he was delighted with this year's results.
Out of 7,850 motorists breathalysed in December, 119 drivers were
arrested. Thirty three drivers were also given field
impairment tests to check for potential drug use leading to 12
arrests. Last year, 5012 drivers were tested during the campaign
period with 180 drivers arrested for positive, refused or failed
► Total arrests for drink = 119
Total number of people bailed = 22
Total number of people charged = 79
Total number of people refused charge = 18
results of toxicology and refused charge
► Total arrests for
drugs = 12
► Total number of people
bailed = 8
► Total number of people
refused charge = 4
Chef Inspector Hogan said:-
"Along with our partners we have put a lot of hard work into
driving down the number of people prepared to drink or drug drive
and in turn to reduce the number of collisions where drink or drugs
are a factor and we are really pleased to see that the number of
people drink or drug driving has decreased. However, it is
disappointing that there are still people out there willing to risk
their lives and those of others by getting behind the wheel while
under the influence of drink or drugs especially given the dangerous
road conditions created by the severe weather this December. Our
message is clear - it is totally unacceptable to jeopardise the
lives of others by driving while under the influence of drink or
drugs. The consequences can not only ruin the lives of many and
destroy families but also lead to the loss of drivers' livelihoods."
Across the UK, 169, 838 drivers were breath tested and 6,613
motorists (a) during the four week campaign, which saw the coldest
December in 120 years.
Nationally 3.89% of drivers stopped failed, refused or had positive
breath tests compared to 1.97%in Merseyside. Figures also show that
during December, 851 drivers were tested following road traffic
collisions, resulting in 5.29%(45 drivers) being (a) for a positive,
refused or failed test.
The last five years of Christmas drink drive campaigns on
Merseyside, have resulted in an annual reduction in the number of
collisions in which drinking was a contributory factor.
Provisional data for the 2010 campaign indicates a fall in the
number of injury road traffic collisions reported during the
campaign period compared to the same period last year.
Chf Insp Hogan added:- "Even a small amount of alcohol will
impair your judgement and general ability to drive safely. How much
you can drink and still drive safely depends on many factors and is
not worth taking the risk. Despite this too many people are drinking
or taking drugs and driving and we will continue to target those
throughout the year not just at Christmas. On Merseyside we have
adopted an intelligence-led approach to stopping drink drivers using
information provided by the public, targeting key locations and key
times of the day and night to get the message across if you break
the drink and drug driving laws on Merseyside you can expect to be
caught. Through robust enforcement and education the number of
people killed and seriously injured on our roads in Merseyside has
reduced significantly over the last 10 years. We are determined to
do everything we can to continue this reduction. However, we need
the support of the public to be able to make a real impact and I
urge all drivers to play their part to help us to make a difference
and save lives - so don't drink or drug drive."
► Total number of people breath tested:-
Total number of breath tests administered to under 25s:- 1584
Total number of breath tests administered to over 25s:- 6266
Southport Weekender - Thank you for your overwhelming support!
edition we reported the
shocking news that we have lost the internationally acclaimed
Southport Weekender and promised we would find out more about this
move. This as we have already said is a major blow to the area, that
will make its self felt far more than most people in Southport
think. So as we have followed this event for many years and as
it will have a massive impact on the area, we tracked down Alex
is So in this audio
interview about the Southport Weekender you can hear why they pulled
out of its home town Southport and moved to Butlins, Minehead.
We apologise for the audio quality, as
the phone interview was recorded from a UK phone line with Alex in
Southport Weekender - Thank you for your overwhelming support!
BOTH Dave and
Alix have in an email to all Weekender fans have said that:-
"From the bottom of our heart we cannot put enough words together to
thank the hundreds if not thousands of you who have written to us
offering your full support and congratulations following our shock
announcement on Monday, 10 January 2011. We're sure you're aware of
the work its taken to secure the future of our beloved event and to
be able to run it in such a fantastic resort as Butlins, Minehead is
truly wonderful, it really is light years ahead of anything we've
had in the past and we can't wait to see it with the full Southport
Weekender's party crowd in full effect, so bring it on!!! As you can
imagine the phones and laptops have been red hot this last week with
the excitement generated by this positive move, unbelievable. Since
the announcement we appreciate that lots of questions have to be
answered so... We thank you for your incredible patience on this, we
have taken on extra staff so please bear with us, we will get back
to everyone shortly. Additions and Changes to Parties Since the
announcement that we are putting another 1500 sought after tickets
on sale, loads of people have been asking about this. Please ensure
you let us know by close of play on Monday, 24 January 2011, so we
can allocate accordingly before the remaining places go on General
Sale on Friday, 28 January 2011, at 1pm. Email us at Weekender
47 changes and additions or better still call us on:- 0844 879 7210.
1500 Tickets to go on Sale at 1pm Friday, 28 January 2011. We have
been inundated with enquiries from people who missed out when we
originally went on sale back in September and are now anxious to
purchase tickets. All size Apartments from 2 people upwards are
available in the following options: Self-Catering only £175 per
person (available in 4, 7 and 8 Berths only). Room only (with
kettle/tv/etc) £165 per person (available in 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 Berths
only). You can book online at:-
southportweekender.co.uk from 13.00
GMT Friday, 28 January 2011."
Vikings v Saints – Get your tickets soon!
WITH the days
counting down until our next pre-season friendly, we’re pleased to
announce that demand is strong and tickets are selling well for the
forthcoming Widnes Vikings v St. Helens game on Sunday, 23 January
2011. All four stands at the Stobart Stadium will be open, and
to add even more spice to this local derby, both teams will be once
again contesting ‘The Karalius Cup’, with St.Helens
the current holders following their 42 to 26 victory in 2010.
Advance tickets, priced £10 for adults and £5 for juniors /
concessions are now on sale from both the Widnes Vikings Ticket
Office and the O’Neills Retail Outlet. Please note; payment is ‘cash
only’ at O’Neills. For any supporters wishing to upgrade to
either ‘Silver’ or ‘Gold’ seated areas,
these tickets are only available from the Widnes Vikings Ticket
Office, situated at the Stobart Stadium Halton. Please be
aware, any supporters unable to purchase tickets in advance of the
game for whatever reason should not be alarmed, as there will also
be ‘cash only’ turnstiles open on the day.
Grounds safety group nets top marks!
A GROUP which
advises on safety issues for sports grounds in Liverpool has won top
marks in an audit of its work. The Ground Safety Advisory
Group (GSAG), which is made up of representatives from the city
council, the emergency services and the city’s football clubs,
provides specialist advice to help the city council discharge its
functions under sports grounds and other legislation. The
multi-agency partnerships within the group provide an important role
in considering improving safety at sports grounds by providing
advice and assistance to the clubs. The Football Licensing
Authority recently undertook an audit of the safety certification
processes in Liverpool as part of a national exercise. Part of the
audit looked at the operation of the group.
It gave a maximum score for the GSAG for these criteria:-
► Regular meetings with all groups represented, where actions are
identified, recorded and acted upon, with good audit trails.
Effective leadership from the Chair and keen interest from the
► Strong leadership which regularly reviews the performance of the
group against the terms of reference. Annual review of terms of
reference. Effective administration of the group. Strong support
from the group.
Councillor Peter Millea, chair of the group, said:- “Because
of our history, no other city is more conscious of the paramount
importance of safety at football and other sports grounds. So, it is
very pleasing that the work we do on the ground safety advisory
group has been acknowledged and gaining top marks in this audit. It
is improrant that we provide effective leadership on this issue and
this independent review shows that this has been happening.”
Sign up to
our Daily Email News Service BETA Test by
Southport & Mersey Reporter - leading the way for
local news. We where the UK's first online
that are taking place this