All–Party Budget Proposals Published
Council has set out its budget proposals for 2011-12, with all party
agreement on how it will make £91m savings during the year.
The proposals will be considered by the full council which meets to
set the budget on Wednesday, 2 March 2011.
The unprecedented level of Government cuts has led all parties on
the Council to put aside party political interests to produce the
budget. More than 80% of the Council’s funding comes from
grants but these have been cut drastically with the loss of all of
the area-based grant, some £110m, including grants targeted at
deprived communities, working neighbourhood fund (£32m); supporting
people (£11m) and grants for adult social care (£8m).
The Council has also had the maximum possible reduction in formula
funding (8.9%) from the Government. The City Council has had its
general revenue funding cut by over 22% in the next two years. A
request to extend the period over which the cuts could be made has
been rejected by Government.
The effect of the cuts in Government funding is that the city has a
budget gap of £91m for 2011/12 and an additional £50m for 2012/13.
In practical terms this has to be targeted at £400m of council
Efficiency savings of more than £30m have been delivered so far in
2010/11 giving a total of £70.4m over the last three years. Savings
this year include cutting half of senior management posts, saving
£4.5m: £3.45m in reduction in the use of agency staff and £1.5m in
reduced costs for consultants. Earmarked Reserves of £13m have
been released to smooth the level of cuts required in 2011/12.
The proposed budget is aimed at shielding the most vulnerable
people, wherever possible, while still stimulating investment in the
city’s economy. It aims to combine fairness with economic growth
while recognising that cuts, which will be painful to implement,
have to be made.
Councillor Joe Anderson, City Council leader, said:- “There is
no disguising the fact that these are the most severe cuts we have
had to make in generations. While we have tried to protect frontline
services, especially those to vulnerable people, the sheer scale of
the cuts mean that it has not always been possible to do that.
We have had to make heartbreaking decisions which will cause real
pain in our communities. That is a direct result of Liverpool being
the hardest hit of any council in the reduction of grants, grants
previously given in view of the levels of deprivation in the city.
Unfortunately the deprivation remains but the money has been
Leader of the main Opposition, Liberal Democrats, Councillor Warren
Bradley, said:- "Liverpool’s political parties were all in
agreement over the need to come together to deliver this budget,
following substantial changes in the way local government is
We had to put political differences to one side to ensure we
delivered the best deal possible and to minimise the amount of job
losses to the people of Liverpool.
Our priority has been to produce a budget which causes the least
possible harm to our communities, but it has been extremely
difficult. We have considered every possible option and left no
stone unturned in our attempts to find savings, while protecting our
most vital services.”
Councillor Steve Radford, Leader of the Liberal Group, said:-
“It has been a first in living memory for councillors that we have
sunk party differences to seek to deal with this horrendous budget
situation and injustice where Liverpool has been more adversely
impacted upon than any other city in the country. That aside, we
have all had to make cutbacks we deeply resent but keeping the city
solvent is vital to all our communities, our workforce and future
Leader of the Green Party Group, Councillor Sarah Jennings, said:-
“These unprecedented cuts from the Government will be
absolutely devastating for Liverpool, and the decisions the city has
had to make in setting its budget have been extremely difficult and
The city’s political parties have responded to this uniquely
perilous situation by working together on the budget, sharing ideas
and trying to make sure every decision we make is fair.”
The budget proposals will be considered by the Cabinet and then the
Finance and Resources Select Committee on 25 February 2011. Further
consultation will take place and feedback received will be
considered as well as the submissions from the consultation. The
City Council will make the final decision about the budget on 2
After the budget meeting the joint budget working group
will continue to meet to ensure that work on the budget for 2012/13
The full budget proposals will be available
Comments are invited on the budget proposals for 2011/12 and should
be sent via
email or via
writing to 'Budget Views, Chief Executive’s Office, Liverpool City
Council, Municipal Buildings, Dale Street, Liverpool L2 2DH'
Wednesday, 2 March 2010. It has to be recognised that any savings not
taken would have to be balanced elsewhere in the budget.
Rising numbers of jobless young people a waste to North West’s
potential says recruitment body
Recruitment and Employment Confederation, the trade association
representing the private recruitment industry is urging the
Government to do more to help avoid a lost generation of unemployed
16 to 24 year olds, whose numbers continue to rise in areas such as
Latest figures show that the number of young people in that area
looking for work currently stands at 22,300 while at the same time,
the overall number of people seeking work in the North West region
fell by 19,000 in the three month period ending in December 2010.
Commenting on the latest figures, Keith Gallagher, the REC’s
director for the North West region said:- “One of the biggest
challenges we face is demographic with a predicted major growth in
the number of people aged over 50. However, our concern is
that there is a groundswell of young people who are not contributing
to the local or regional economies which is a huge waste of the
region’s potential. The Government has positioned itself as being
pro jobs but now we need to move beyond promises to see real
The REC has set up a Youth Employment Taskforce to address the main
issues of getting young people back into work. Its report
“Avoiding a Lost Generation” provided practical recommendations
as to how this can be tackled through up skilling young people,
offering them real experience in the world of work through
placements and apprenticeships.
Keith Gallagher added:- “Even on a regional scale, there is a
need for leading businesses in the area, private recruiters and
other stakeholders such as education providers to find new ways of
getting young people back into work. We believe the best method is
for the Government to offer incentives to private businesses to hire
WIGGLES BIRTHDAY BONANZA COMES TO VUE SOUTHPORT
Southport are in for a treat as Australian kids entertainers The
Wiggles, celebrate their 20th birthday with a screening of ‘The
Wiggles Greatest Hits In The Round’ on 12 and 13 March 2011.
The performance, which was recorded live from Sydney’s Acer Arena
last December, will get children and parents a like singing, dancing
and having fun with Wiggles, Jeff, Anthony, Murray and Sam. What’s
more the Wiggles will be joined by all their favourite Wiggly
friends, including Dorothy the Dinosaur, Captain Feathersword, Wags
the Dog and Henry the Octopus.
The performance will feature the Wiggles biggest hits including Hot
Potato, Fruit Salad and Monkey Dance, all broadcast in High
Definition and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound to give cinema goers
a full experience of this fun time extravaganza.
Mark De Quervain, Sales and Marketing Director of Vue Entertainment,
comments:- “It can be hard to find things to do that are child
friendly and entertaining enough to keep young children’s attention.
So The Wiggles are perfect for family fun in Southport.
The screenings are also perfect for parents as they have been
specifically set up with families in mind, so no one will be upset
if children and even their parents want to sing along.”
Tickets to the live performance of The Wiggles Greatest Hits cost
£5.00 and can be booked at:-
Broad Green Park & Ride improvement scheme
February 2011, work is now taking place at Broad Green Station to
improve the Car Park & Ride facilities.
Scheduled to finish mid April, the improved Park & Ride car park
► 127 car parking spaces including 8 dedicated blue badge space.
► 6 motor cycle parking spaces.
► A revised entrance, exit, vehicle
route and pedestrian access.
► New fencing and height restriction
lighting and CCTV.
► Landscaping and boundary treatment.
In order for these improvements to be carried out as swiftly as
possible, some of the car park will be closed whilst the work is
For more information, please call:- 0151 227 5181.