Mike Mac Puts
Art On The Bus¡
SIR Peter Blake’s Art Bus
returns home as Mike McCartney’s Liverpool exhibition draws to a
close. Friday, 23 March 2012, will see the return of a special
bus to Liverpool, which has had a considerable 'face lift'
since it served as a tour bus in the city over 20 years ago.
The CCA Art Bus, featuring a mobile art gallery, has been designed
by Sir Peter Blake for CCA Galleries. It is heading to Liverpool to
mark the final weeks of Mike McCartney’s exhibition at the Museum of
Liverpool along with the launch of a limited edition box set, poster
and 6 postcards of the most popular images from the exhibition.
The CCA Art Bus will be parked outside the Museum and open for
visitors from 10am to 11am and then 12pm to 2pm to climb aboard and
take a look at the fabulous artwork. People can view Mike
McCartney’s spontaneously unique photographs of famous Liverpool
people and places in the gallery on the top deck of the Art Bus.
Mike's work has been shown at the National Portrait Gallery, the
Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and the Smithsonian in Washington DC.
Closing on 15 April 2012, his exhibition at the Museum of Liverpool;
Mike McCartney’s Liverpool; has seen a successful run since it
opened in July last year, with the Museum itself having already
attracted over 870,000 visitors.
Mike collaborated closely with CCA Galleries who own the Art Bus to
frame the 30 photographs on display, and wishes to donate his
exhibition to the Museum’s collection at the end of its run in
Janet Dugdale, Director of the Museum of Liverpool said:- "We
are delighted that Mike has chosen to donate his exhibition to the
Museum, and by the same token to the people of Liverpool. We were
very lucky he agreed to be the first artist to display his work in
the Skylight Gallery, which represents his views of the city and its
people. Six of his photographs will stay on display in the Museum,
and our shop will be selling a range of postcards and posters from
CCA are also launching a limited edition box-set of some of Mike’s
work, on the same day that the bus visits Liverpool.
Sir Peter Blake designed the Art Bus in a groovy Pop Art style, with
the aim of creating a Rock 'n' Roll tour bus for art
and artists. The eye catching design of the bus has proven to make
it fascinating to children of all ages – including the old ones. Sir
Peter’s exuberant design includes motifs that are infinitely
familiar, and opens our eyes to the fact that art does not have to
be exclusive or academic, but can be all-embracing, fun and
Mike McCartney said:- "To have the Art Bus come up to
Liverpool to tie in with my exhibition at the Museum of Liverpool is
fantastic. For CCA to produce a posh box set and the Museum to sell
a poster and six of my photies as postcards is even better!
I’m delighted to be working with them again as the exhibition draws
to a close at the Museum of Liverpool, and even happier that six of
my images will remain on display in the Museum."
After the Art Bus has been to the Museum of Liverpool, Mike and
friends will climb aboard for a tour of the city, which will see
them ending up at the Walker Art Gallery. Clare Clinton from
CCA Galleries said:- "Our trip to Liverpool is special in so
many ways. It represents a homecoming for the Art Bus, which started
life the city years ago and not only marks our partnership with Mike
McCartney but also our links with the Walker Art Gallery where we
will end our day. The Walker displayed Sir Peter Blake’s An Alphabet
just last year and is also host to the John Moores Painting Prize of
which Sir Peter is patron. Having the Art Bus visit Liverpool is
fantastic for all these reasons and also part of our drive to spread
the message that art is accessible for all."
As well as being a mobile piece of art itself, the Art Bus is also
an educational tool and an exciting platform from which to introduce
school children to the world of visual arts. National Museums
Liverpool has invited school groups to come and enjoy the bus when
it visits the Museum of Liverpool.
2 sentenced over
counterfeit goods website
2 men who were involved in
the running of a website which sold more than half a million pounds
worth of counterfeit products have been sentenced at Liverpool Crown
Frederick Kavanagh, aged 47, of Clough Road Speke was sentenced to
12 months imprisonment suspended for two years after admitting five
offences under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 and one
offence under Trade Marks Act 1994. He was also sentenced to carry
out 180 hours unpaid work.
He was also sentenced to 6 months suspended for 2 years for 2
benefit fraud offences and ordered to carry out 180 hours unpaid
work, concurrent with the sentence for the copyright/trade mark
Robert Cummings, aged 48, of Audley Road, Trafford pleaded guilty to
8 offences under the Trade Marks Act 1994. He was sentenced to 8
months on each count suspended for 2 years to run concurrently and
160 hours unpaid work for each offence to run concurrently. He was
also ordered to pay £1500 costs.
The court ordered that the seized goods to be forfeited and
The case resulted from an 18 month covert operation run by Liverpool
Trading Standards in conjunction with the Department of Work and
Pensions (DWP), Trafford Trading Standards, Merseyside Police, The
Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) and the British
Phonographic Industry (BPI)and the Regional Asset Recovery Team (RART).
The original allegations came via FACT.
It was the biggest operation of its kind in the North West.
On 30 September 2010, 3 addresses in Liverpool and 1 in Trafford
were raided and about 25000 counterfeit discs were seized including
5,000 films, 2,000 games and 1000 counterfeit music CDs, along with
computers and equipment used for disc copying, printing and
Judge Stephen Clarke said:- "This was a very well run
investigation and the City Council should be commended. This is what
we want to see Trading Standards do and they do it very well. It was
an important inquiry and it is satisfying that a business making
half a million pounds has been put to an end."
Liverpool city council’s cabinet member responsible for trading
standards, Councillor Tim Moore, said:- "We are pleased that
the court recognised the role Trading Standards played in this
Counterfeit goods are damaging to the film and music industry and
they hit legitimate businesses especially at these difficult
economic times. Hopefully, closing down this website will help
prevent the flow of counterfeit goods and will send a message to
those responsible that , along with our partners we will track you
down and prosecute you."
Witness Appeal after serious
assault in Southport's Botanic Gardens
MERSEYSIDE Police have
confirmed that a 21 year old man was been arrested on suspicion of
assault after another man was found with serious head injuries in
Southport on Friday, 16 March 2012 and has now been released on bail
pending further enquiries. Officers were called to Botanic
Gardens, Southport, shortly after 10pm following reports of a fight.
On arrival they found a 22 year old man with serious head injuries.
The victim was taken to hospital where his condition is currently
described as extremely serious. A 21 year old man from the
Churchtown area of Southport was arrested on suspicion of grievous
bodily harm. The scene of the assault in Cambridge Road, Churchtown
was cordoned off for forensic examination and house-to-house
enquiries to be carried out. Police are interested in talking to
anyone who witnessed the incident or who was in the Botanic Gardens
area at around 10pm on Friday, 16 March 2012. Anyone with
information should call Copy Lane CID on:- 0151 777 3019 or,
Crimestoppers, anonymously, on:- 0800 555 111.