Southport Reporter Bourder
Your free online newspaper for Merseyside...  

Read our Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy

Email | Latest edition | Archive | Terms & Conditions

Business Index Search




Latest Edition

Back to Archive

Please beware that this is an archived news page.

This page has been archived as a historical record only.


Some features and links on this page might no longer be functioning.

© 2000-2013

PCBT Photography

Southport Reporter® is the Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope.

Get your Google PageRank

Southport Reporter

Edition No. 76

Date:- 29 November 2002

The Stormers WEB PAGE!
Rugby Match Review
Southport 10, Farnworth 20
Report By Natasha Clarke.

SOUTHPORT Rugby League were made to pay for poor defending and inadequate ball control, as Farnworth of Widnes emerged victorious at Saturday's eighth league game in Hightown.

The Sandstormers started on form with a strong defence that was working well to contain the strong running visitors. The game could have gone either way as Port have won twice, drawn twice and lost three times this season.

Unluckily twenty minutes into the game a fateful mistake lost Southport control of the ball and Farnworth stormed in and scored out wide.

The Southport boys seemed to lose their concentration and another drastic mistake allowed Farworth to score another try and settle into a comfortable early lead.

In spite of this early bad luck, the Sandgrounder's man of the match Richard Hulse claimed a well-earned first-half try to put the boys back in the game. 

His magnificent sixty-yard run held off five defenders before he touched down and he scored undoubtedly the try of the game. 

The boys had stormed back into the match and fought fearlessly to keep the score at 4-8 at the break. Unfortunately Frank Dunn's attempt to give the boys a half-time draw was scuppered when he was held on his back over the line.

The second half saw Southport perform well below their capability as all sense of ball control seemed to vanish. The momentum was now with the visitors as Farnworth set up camp in the Sandgrounder's half.

The visiting side took advantage of Southport's loss of concentration and almost none existent tackling and the Sandstormers were lucky to concede just two converting try's.

After a dismal thirty minutes the home side pushed back into the match and came through with some excellent attacking rugby showing their potential to boast sheer pace and well-handled tactics.

As things got better for Southport Chris Dresher made several good breaks and Mick and Steve Hornby, Andy Walsh and Chris Brown all looked close to breaking the line.

With the home team's defence stepped up their luck appeared as it was going to change with Neil Newton and Steve Tobin desperately attempting to make up the points.

Yet the second half belonged to the visitors as the Sandgrounder's late burst of skilfulness and ability wasn't enough to give the boys the win they desperately needed.

Doug Parkin's boys lacked nothing in commitment and the score line could have certainly been much different had their ball control not been so poor. 

Southport Rugby League sponsor XL THINK BIG

Man of the match was Richard Hulse sponsored by STEVE RIGBY BUILDING CONTRACTOR SOUTHPORT

Next game is Saturday 30th November away at Chorley. K.O 2.00 pm

Anyone interested in Rugby League contact John Marshall on 01704 536309 or Doug Parkin on 01772 813015.

Visit the Sandstormers

Web Page.

Southport Reporter is Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope.   Copyright © Patrick Trollope 2002.