Huge drop in
unemployed teenagers in Liverpool
A Council funded advice
service has helped cut the number of unemployed young people in
Liverpool by 27%. The number of 16 to 19 year olds Not in
Education, Employment or Training (NEET) fell from 1,803 to 1,308
from November 2011 to December 2012.
The reduction means just 8 in every 100 young people in the City are
unemployed. It follows the re-launch of the Greater Merseyside
Connexions information and advice service in April 2012.
It now operates from locations around the City, including Council
buildings, youth centres and a mobile bus, in 10 priority areas.
Staff are on hand at key times such as career options events, school
leaving times, exam results days and recruitment fairs. Plus
there is a dedicated telephone helpline and an interactive careers
website for young people, parents and teachers to find out about
opportunities and support across Merseyside.
Councillor Steve Munby, the Cabinet member responsible for the
service, said:- "These are really encouraging figures,
especially when you consider the difficult economic environment.
Being in work or training is essential for every young person, and
that is why we are committed to helping as many as we can.
It's really important that we focus on the areas of the City where
we know there are high numbers of young people who are not in
employment, education or training so we are getting to those who
need our help the most. We have had huge success getting hundreds of
people on to the first rung of the employment ladder through our
various apprenticeship schemes, so there are opportunities out there
even in these difficult times. Rather than waiting for people to
come through the door, we now actively go out and seek young people
and go to the places where we know they are."
The City Council's Cabinet will this Friday, 22 March 2013, be asked to
agree to continue the contract. Visit
website for the Connexions service for more
information or call the helpline number:-
0800 012 6606.
historic Greenbank Synagogue
MUCH NEEDED repair works
are to be carried out on a historic synagogue in South Liverpool,
paving the way for it to be brought back into use.
The Mayoral Cabinet will be asked, on Friday 22 March, to approve
plans for the City Council and English Heritage to invest more than
£70,000 in breathing new life into Greenbank Synagogue, Greenbank
The grade II* listed building has been on the national Heritage at
Risk register since 2010, and the urgent repairs will help protect
the future of the building by improving its structural integrity and
making it weather proof.
English Heritage is providing a 'Historic Building Grant' of
£51,417 for the project, with the City Council contributing £20,000.
Liverpool City Council's Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Councillor
Malcolm Kennedy, said:- "Greenbank Synagogue is an important,
historic building, but it has become a worsening grot spot within
the Sefton Park area in recent years. It's great news that this
vital work is being carried out. It will mean a brighter future for
the building, assisting in its removal from the Buildings at Risk
register and bringing it back into beneficial use for the local
community. We hope this work will give the synagogue a new
lease of life, help make it a hub of activity once more and secure
its place for future generations to enjoy. I'm very much looking
forward to the start of this new, positive chapter in the building's
Greenbank Synagogue was erected in 1936 and leased to the Liverpool
New Hebrew Congregation. It was occupied by the Greenbank Drive
Hebrew Congregation until 2007, when they vacated the building.
Liverpool City Council and English Heritage were approached by the
trustees of Greenbank Drive Hebrew Congregation last year over the
possibility of grant funding to repair and maintain the synagogue,
and have worked closely with the trustees to deliver the plans.
Work is due to start this month and is scheduled to finish later
this year. Discussions are now taking place over how the building
will be used in the future.