after suitcase stolen from station – Wigan
Transport Police (BTP) officers are asking
for the public's help after a member of
staff's luggage was stolen from Wigan North Western station.
The theft took place shortly before 3pm on Thursday, 27 June 2013,
and officers have now isolated a number of images of a man and a
woman they want to speak to in relation to the incident.
PC Dan Armstrong, investigating, explained:- "A man and
woman entered the station together and made their way to the
customer service desk on platform four of the station. The victim
was in the customer service office and had left his trolley case
just outside the entrance. The man entered the office and asked a
question while the woman remained outside. Shortly after the man
left the office, the victim realised his bag was missing."
The case contained various items including a
black 32gb, iPad worth £400.
Armstrong added:- "This brazen theft took place in the
middle of the day with lots of people around and I am confident
somebody would have seen something. The man and woman pictured are
of particular interest to us as they were at the station at the time
and we believe they may have key information so I would urge anyone
who recognises them to get in touch."
Anyone with information should contact British Transport Police on
Freefone:- 0800 40 50 40 or text:- 61016 quoting B4/NWA of
Alternatively, contact the
independent charity, Crimestoppers, on:- 0800 555 111.
Protecting your valuables will greatly reeduce the
chances of becoming a victim of crime. Here are a few simple tips
from British Transport Police to protect yourself and your
Carry wallets, mobiles and other small valuables in a secure
► Carry your handbag in a secure position
in front of your body. Keep all fasteners closed and ensure they are
facing towards your body.
► When on stations or trains look for CCTV
cameras and try to stay within view.
► Register all your electronic equipment
Police advice for passengers travelling with luggage:-
► Always keep your belongings close by.
► Check your luggage regularly.
► Be extra vigilant when the train stops
at a station.
► If you move to another carriage, take
your valuables with you; never leave them unattended.
► Report suspicious behaviour to a member
of staff or a Police Officer.
► Put a lock on your suitcase, preferably
with a code on it, to make it more difficult for the thief to access
► Attach a tag to your luggage with your
name and address on so that if it is a simple act of mistaken
identity, your case can be returned to you.
Wanted man James Taylor arrested
LIVERPOOL fugitive James
'Pancake' Taylor was arrested by Armed Officers on, 22
July 2013, as he left a gym in Amsterdam. Taylor, aged 34, is
wanted over an incident in which a man was attacked by 3 men at City
Centre restaurant Kimos in October 2010. Joint working between
the Serious Organised Crime Agency, Merseyside Police and the
Amsterdam Police led to the arrest of Taylor in the
Staatsliedenbuurt area. Dave Allen, Head of the Fugitives Unit at
SOCA, said:- "Armed officers swooped as he left a gym to cycle
home. Taylor had no idea we were on to him. He had been living in a
luxury apartment, but now he's in a prison cell awaiting
extradition. There is no such place as a safe haven for fugitives on
the run. It does not matter where in the world they flee to, SOCA
and its partners have the expertise to track them down and bring
them back to the UK to face justice." Merseyside Police
Detective Superintendent Chris Green, said:- "Merseyside
Police has been wanting to speak to James Taylor since 2010,
following an incident at Kimos restaurant, Liverpool. We are now
working with the Serious Organised Crime Agency and European
authorities, so he can be extradited to the UK."
Marjolein Smit-Arnold Bik, Head of Criminal Investigation Divison at
Amsterdam Police, said:- "The collaboration with our
colleagues from the British Police is very good. We have arrested
dozens of British fugitives in the past few years. Our message to
other fugitives is clear; Amsterdam is not the place to be."
A search of Taylor's apartment in De Pijp led to the seizure
of a handgun, ammunition and false identity documents. He was also
in possession of 2,000 Euros when he was arrested. Anthony
Richardson, aged 34, from Liverpool, was jailed for 8 years, 4
months in December 2011 for his involvement in the incident at the
restaurant. He had pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to do
grievous bodily harm.
by Royal Birkdale
Photograph © Getty Images
IN tribute to his Open
Championship success in 1998, Mark O'Meara was awarded Honorary
Membership of Royal Birkdale Golf Club ahead of The Senior Open
Championship Presented by Rolex.
The American triumphed across the celebrated Southport links 15
years ago to claim the Claret Jug following a play off with Brian
Watts; just months after winning his maiden Major at the Masters
Tournament, and this week returns to the North West of England
looking to build on an impressive turn in The Open Championship at
O'Meara was 1 of 5 players in The Senior Open field to make the cut
in The 142nd Open Championship in East Lothian last week, eventually
finishing in a tie for 58th having shared second place after the 1st
round following an opening 67.
Now, back at Royal Birkdale looking to win his third title at the
venue having also claimed the Lawrence Batley International there in
1987, O'Meara's repeat successes have been recognised by the club.
"It's an unbelievable tribute to be made an Honorary Member of Royal
Birkdale. I've obviously had a long career of playing all the
different links golf courses and I just have such fond memories of
the great moments I've had here. It's my favourite links golf course
anywhere in the world. It's a true test of golf. I 1st set eyes on
it in 1987 when I won the Lawrence Batley here; in 1991 I came back
and played with Ian Baker Finch tied for the lead, but of course The
Open Championship that was played here in '98 was a dream come true
for me, to hold the Claret Jug right here on the 18th green was
really the icing on the cake for me with my career." said
the 56 year old North Carolina native.
Despite rainfall softening the course in the days building up to the
event, O'Meara still believes that Royal Birkdale will provide as
stern a test to the 156 strong Senior Open field as Muirfield did
Mark O'Meara continued:- "It's going to be just as demanding
if not even tougher to be honest with you, especially if the wind
kicks up. I've played it in really severe conditions before. You
just have to be very patient and sometimes par is a very good score.
I've had past success here and that helps but it doesn't give you
the right to think you're going to go out there and play well. I
have to hit good quality shots and drive the ball well this week and
hole some putts. If I can do those things then hopefully I'll be
able to contend on Sunday."
Royal Birkdale Club Captain Jonathan Seal presented O'Meara with a
commemorative tie ahead of the 27th edition of the Senior Open
He said:- "It is a huge pleasure to extend Honorary Membership
to Mark in the way that we have our other previous Open Champions
going back to Peter Thomson, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Johnny
Miller, Tom Watson and Ian Baker-Finch. On behalf of all the members
of Royal Birkdale, we welcome Mark on board."
O'Meara will launch his title bid at 13.50 on Thursday in the
company of defending champion Fred Couples and Senior Open debutant
Colin Montgomerie and says the grouping will be one to savour.
He reflected:- "We go way back. I went to Qualifying School
and got my touring card with Fred back in 1980 in the fall. We had
some cool years. Colin I have a lot of respect for, and played a lot
of golf with him."
CLARK PLEASED WITH DECENT LATE
Photographs by Mark Robinson/Hatton Promotions.
manager Matt Clark is looking on the bright side of Lucas Browne's
fight with Richard Towers falling through. The big punching
heavyweights were set to meet, Thursday, 25 July 2013, at the
Melbourne Pavilion, but Towers was forced to withdraw as he has been
unable to obtain a visa. Tough American Travis "Freight Train"
Walker has agreed to step up to the plate, and Clark sees him as an
ideal late notice test for his charge. Clark, who also trains
Browne, said:- "While I was disappointed that the Towers fight
has been cancelled again, I'm delighted that such a top level
replacement has been brought in. Travis is well known to Aussie
fight fans. He was in a tremendous fight with Alex Leapai and
blasted out Kali Meehan. Travis has been in with some top class
operators. He's had Tomasz Adamek and Chris Arreola on the deck so
it's a great fight for Lucas and I know he's trained hard for the
bout." If victorious on Thursday a logical next fight for
Browne would be against the aforementioned Leapai. The majority for
boxing experts down under see them as number 2 and 2 in the country
so a meeting would be a huge draw. But Clark is also keen to state
that, despite 2 cancellations, the eagerly anticipated tussle with
Towers is far from dead in the water.
Lucas, himself, said:- "I'm sure Leapai and
Browne will meet at some point and it'll be a big bout for Aussie
fight fans. The same goes for Richard Towers. If we need to come to
England for that fight, we're there. Lucas has a profile that is
really growing in the UK and Ireland. You've only got to look at his
Twitter. Hopefully those fans get to see him in the flesh again
soon. Firstly though, we need to get through Walker. The replacement
of Travis Walker is an awesome one and the things that I've been
working on will still be able to be used against him. Travis has
shown he has power, but also that he comes on strong in the early
rounds, so it's up to me to stay firm with my guard and not fall
into a brawl with him. I want to box him and show my skills."