Southport Reporter Bourder
Your free online newspaper for Merseyside...  

Read our Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy

Email | Latest edition | Archive | Terms & Conditions

Business Index Search




Latest Edition

Back to Archive

Please beware that this is an archived news page.

This page has been archived as a historical record only.


Some features and links on this page might no longer be functioning.

© 2000-2013

PCBT Photography

Southport Reporter® is the Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope.

Get your Google PageRank


Southport Reporter...News...Southport Reporter...News...Southport Reporter

Latest News

30 April 2002

Southport Reporter...News...Southport Reporter...News...Southport Reporter

Southport 5-1 Forest Green Rovers!

Southport 5-1 Forest Green Rovers
Southport rounded off their Nationwide Conference campaign with a resounding 5-1 victory of Forest
Green Rovers, ensuring the 'Port finish in 15th position in the final table. Forest Green did not mount much of a challenge throughout
the afternoon, with the home side taking the initiative early on in the game. The first real chance fell to Lee Elam, who jumped through three challenges to set himself up for a goal scoring chance, but Jason Pearcey comfortably collected his shot. Southport were one up moments later when Elam ran through, passing the ball to Steve Jones, slotting the ball home under the legs of Pearcey following a slight deflection, throwing the keeper off course. Forest Green were forced to substitute their keeper in the 28th minute when an attempted shot of the ball by Steve Whitehall landed in the arm of Pearcey, who went off with a suspected broken arm. This meant that first team regular keeper, Steve Perrin, was put in the fray, Southport continued the pressure, always seeking a second goal. Simon Parke played a perfect pass to Steve Whitehall, but Whitehall's volley fired over the bar. The visitors equalized in the 34th minute when Mark Cooper fired home a penalty, after Steve Dickinson had brought down Carl Heggs. Southport failed to capitalize from their pressure before half time, with Steve Jones heading just wide from an Andy Scott free kick, and Whitehall hitting the post from a Chris Lane cross. The home side restored their lead within three minutes of the second half, when Rob Cousins attempted to clear a Scott free kick, but the failed clearance fell into the path of Parke who had no difficulty in slotting the ball in from close range. Chris Lane's efforts in trying to add to the tally nearly paid off when his powerful free kick was skillfully parried away by Perrin however, a minute later Perrin somehow managed to fumble Steve Jones' tame header behind the line, to make it 3-1.Steve Dickinson was sent off on the hour mark, for his second bookable offence after handling the ball outside his area. In protesting that Dickinson should be sent off, Matthew Coupe found himself unnecessarily yellow carded by the referee. Phil Morgan came on to replace him, meaning that Steve Whitehall was the sacrificial player to allow Morgan to come on. As we have seen at Haig Avenue before this season, the ten players of Southport raised their game, finding themselves 4-1 in front when Parke dummied Phil Morgan's clearance, with the ball going through to Lee Elam, slotting the ball under the advancing keeper. Southport rounded off the afternoon with Steve Jones completing his hat-trick (Southport's first of the season!) banging in number 5 with a left foot, edge of area, drive, giving Perrin no chance.


Southport:- Dickinson, Lane, Scott, Teale, B.Jones (Howell, 73), Clark, Elam (Mulvaney, 82), S.Jones, Parke, Whitehall (Morgan, 61), Grayston.

Subs not used:- Macauley, Robertson.
Forest Green:- Pearcey (Perrin, 28), Cousins, Jenkins, Cooper, Lee, Coupe, Travis (Adams, 46), Tearney (Meechan, 59), Heggs, Hopkins, Futcher.Subs not used: Impey, Sykes.

Match Statistics:-

Port v Forest G
17 Goal Attempts 12 
11 On target 4 
5 Off target 8 
1 Woodwork 0 
3 Corners 4 
7 Fouls 15 

Southport's Player Of the Year awards! 

Prior to the kick off, players presentation were made. 

The winning players were:-
Southport Visiter/Rewardaward Player of the season:- BARRY JONES(Runners up: Shaun Teale and Steve Dickinson).
Top Goal Scorer of the season:- SIMON PARKE (16 League Goals)
Players Player of the Season:- STEVE DICKINSON
Supporters Player of the Season: STEVE DICKINSON

Reserve Team Player of the year:- LEE MULVANEY
Photographs with thanks to Daniel Hayes (

Southport FC Online! 

Today Southport Football Club Launched three new websites. The first, is the Official web site of club mascot Sandy The Lion. 

The second, is a site which is designed to deliver fast information to the fans straight from the manager Phil Wilson, news, previews and reviews will be added every few days during the season and news during the close season will also be regular. It is a great place to visit for all the news straight from the man in charge

the third, is the Official internet site of Southport FC's club shop. Using a secure credit card server, fans can now buy club merchandise whatever time of the day or night. Site fully functional by the end of the week (4th May).
To go back to the Top of the page.