Southport & Mersey Reporter - Mobile

Click on here to go to latest edition's main page.

  Search Edition Archive  

Visit our online shop...


Click on to go to our hub website.

Latest Edition   Archive   Shop   Email   Mersey Reporter
Please support our advertiser below...


Weekly Edition - Published 22 May 2015


Local News Report - Mobile Page


Budget loving residents are saving up to £200 each month by simply keeping an eye on their spending

ONCE a stigma for being poor, being 'on a budget' is now saving residents in the North West up to £200 each month as it becomes an everyday method of money-saving. A study by, reveals 65% of residents are now on a weekly or monthly budget with 64% doing so to prevent overspending rather than to save. A further 18% say they budget to feel in control of their outgoings, compared to the 11% who are tightening their belts in a bid to reach a savings goal.

►  Budgeting tools

21% of residents in the North West say they use a budgeting tool with 45% keeping a record of their incomings and outgoings on a monthly basis, whilst 18% say they're able to budget by simply checking their bank balance.

Residents who use an online budgeting tool or app save between £50 and £100 each month, whilst those who keep a record of their incomings and outgoings save an average of £100 to £200 each month.

►  Budget busting

35% of residents in the North West do not budget, with 21% overspending into an overdraft, using a credit card or taking out a loan each month. A third admit to overspending by £50 to £100.

For the 15% who do not or only sometimes stick to their budget, common 'budget-busters' include eating out, buying clothes, socialising with friends and going out to bars and clubs.

Other key findings reveal

76% of residents say budgeting is 'easy', whilst the other 24% find it 'challenging'

Women overspend on eating out and buying clothes, whereas men blow their budget on socialising with friends

75% of residents would happily tell their friends, family and colleagues they're tightening their belt in a bid to manage their money

Natasha Rachel Smith, Consumer Affairs Editor for TopCashback, said:- "Being on a budget was once seen as something that would hold people back from doing what they wanted and enjoying themselves. However our research shows consumers have become savvy to the idea of setting aside money each month to increase their spending power for the long term. 57% of Brits now assign budgets for different categories, which simply set sensible guidelines to prevent overspending and landing in the red. Perhaps this is a by product of the recession years, when consumers had to financially adapt to survive the tough times, and, quite refreshingly, the habit's remained even though the British economy's improved. When setting budgets, consumers can also look for ways to reduce their spending in each category by earning cashback and using discount codes or vouchers. Signing up to TopCashback for instance can save shoppers around £356 a year in cashback savings alone."


News Report Page Quick Flick.

Click on here to go to the mobile menu page for this edition. News Report Page Quick Flick

Read this page.

Southport Reporter (R) Bourder




 RSS Our Weekly Headlines


(+44)  08443 244 195
Calls to this number may be recorded for security, broadcast, training and record keeping.

4a Post Office Ave, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 0US, UK


Click on to see our Twitter Feed.  Click on to see our Facebook Page.  Click on to follow our LinkedIn Profile. This website is licence to carry news from and UK Press Photography. 

This is our media complains system...

We are regulated by IMPRESS, the independent monitor for the UK's press.

How to make a complaint
Complaints Policy
Complaints Procedure
Whistle Blowing Policy


Southport Reporter® is the
Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope