Liverpool retains its
Photograph by Patrick Trollope.
LIVERPOOL is celebrating after
learning it has retained the prestigious Purple Flag status for its evening
and night time economy.
Purple Flag is a town and City Centre award; similar to the Blue Flag for
beaches; which aims to raise the standard and broaden the appeal of town
and City Centres between the hours of 18:00 and 05:00. Cities and Towns awarded the Purple Flag are recognised for providing a vibrant mix of
entertainment while promoting the safety and wellbeing of visitors and local
Since 2007, the programme has awarded the Purple Flag status to over 65
Towns and Cities in the UK and Ireland. Purple Flag accredited Towns have
all reported a consistent increase in footfall and a decrease in crime
within the evening and night time economy. The Purple Flag programme is
managed by the Association of Town and City Management (ATCM) which works
alongside; a partnership of key stakeholder groups backed by Government,
police and businesses, as well as the UK sponsors Diageo Great Britain.
Liverpool, which 1st gained the Purple Flag in 2010, demonstrated that it
had a safe and well managed night time economy with a great offer including
clubs, bars, cinemas, theatres, restaurants and an events programme. Councillor Emily Spurrell, Mayoral Lead for Community Safety, said:-
"We are very pleased that we are still able to fly the Purple Flag which is
confirmation that we have a safe and vibrant City Centre. A lot of
organisations as well as businesses are working together to achieve this and
our night-time economy is going from strength to strength."
Shanaaz Carroll, CEO (Interim) of the ATCM said:- "There are now
almost 70 Towns and Cities across the UK and Ireland who are proudly flying
the Purple Flag after working hard to gain accreditation. The award is not
just about safety, but also the vibrancy and diversity of the evening and
night time offer ; this can only be achieved by people working together and
across the country we are seeing some amazing examples of this type of
Liverpool will officially receive its Purple Flag at an awards ceremony on
the 25 February 2016, in Aylesbury Vale.
Can you help find these 2 men following a
assault in Southport?
MERSEYSIDE Police Detectives have released CCTV images of
2 men they would like to speak to after a man was assaulted in Alpine Bar, a
nightclub in Southport. Merseyside Police say that:- "The 26 year old was
in Alpine Bar, West Street, at 2.20am, on Sunday, 13 December 2016, when a group
of unknown males approached him and assaulted him. He was punched to the face,
causing a cut to his lip which required stitches. He also required surgery to
have his jaw realigned."
As part of the investigation, Officers have now released to the
media CCTV images of 2 males who they believe could help them with their
enquiries. Temporary Inspector Simon Owen said:- "This was a particularly
nasty and unprovoked assault on a man who had been out in Southport Town Centreshortly
before Christmas. There would probably have been a number of people in the
nightclub at the time of the assault who may have seen what happened or saw the
males leaving the area. We would also ask the 2 males in the CCTV stills or
anyone who knows of their identity to get in touch."
Anyone who has any information is asked to call Merseyside Police on 0151 777
3780 or the confidential Crimestoppers line on:- 0800 555 111.
Lime Street regeneration
gets green light
THE £35 million regeneration of
Lime Street in Liverpool will go ahead after the High Court rejected a bid
by SAVE Britain's Heritage to overturn planning permission.
The scheme involves redevelopment for mixed use including commercial, retail
and leisure uses with hotel and student accommodation. It will be followed
by a proposed entertainment and media hub in the former ABC Cinema, which
would be restored.
In a judgment handed down, The Honourable Mrs Justice Patterson DBE
have dismissed the substantive application for a Judicial Review, which was
made by SAVE Britain's Heritage on the grounds that the City Council had
failed to notify the DCMS (Department for Culture Media and Sport) and
UNESCO's 'World Heritage Committee', in breach of planning guidance.
Judge Patterson rejected the claim because Historic England (formerly
English Heritage) were consulted and did not raise any objections, nor
request the scheme be called in for scrutiny by Secretary of State at the
Department for Communities and Local Government, Greg Clark.
She describes the evidence provided by the City Council at the hearing in
December 2015 as:- "impressive and clear", concluding that the local
authority had properly considered whether the scheme would have an impact on
the 'Outstanding Universal Value of the World Heritage Site.'
Judge Patterson also notes that it would cause:- "considerable
the World Heritage Committee; which only meets once a year; if it had to
consider all planning applications that could have an effect on the 'Outstanding Universal Value of World Heritage Sites.'
Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, said:-
"We were confident that we had properly and rigorously considered this
application following all of the relevant Government guidance, and it is
pleasing that the High Court has come to the same conclusion. Lime
Street is a key gateway route in the City Centre that is in desperate need
of investment and upgrading. The scheme went through a very rigorous
evaluation before being approved. We want to get on with allowing the
developers to invest in their vision and bring Lime Street up to a much
higher standard than it has been for decades and one that is fitting for a
major entry point into the City Centre. This legal move, which I believe was
based on spurious grounds, was an attempt by outside interest groups to
delay much needed regeneration, and fortunately the High Court has seen
right through it. I look forward to us now being able to crack on with
the much needed transformation of this area of the City Centre which will no
doubt act as a catalyst for further investment and development in the area."
It has not proved possible to save the facade of the former Futurist Cinema
within the new scheme, because of its poor structural condition following
deterioration over a number of years, and this decision has been accepted by
the Save the Futurist campaign group.
Mayor Anderson added:- "Considerable efforts were made to save the
Futurist including commissioning 2 surveyors' reports both of which
concluded that its condition was so poor that there was simply no way it
could be salvaged.
Our commitment to heritage has seen the number of buildings on the at risk
register at a 24 year low and some, including the Royal Insurance Building
and Stanley Dock, brought back into viable use due to our intervention.
Sadly in this case independent experts have told us that the Futurist simply
can't be saved."
Steve Parry, Managing Director of Neptune Developments, added:- "We
are pleased that the High Court has ratified the local planning decision and
found that it was made in an entirely appropriate and thorough way.
Lime Street urgently needs this project to happen. There has already been a
cost associated with a delay that has impacted on the project's financial
viability. On a positive note we have exchanged with a major fund before
Christmas and can now hopefully get on with early demolition and delivery of
a new vision for Lime Street."
What do you think about this panned re-development? Please
email us to:-
News24@SouthportReporter.com with your