Patients rate The
Clatterbridge Cancer Centre as one of the best Hospitals in the country
RESULTS published on 8 June 2016, from the
Care Quality Commission's inpatient survey for 2015 show inpatients at, The
Clatterbridge Cancer Centre NHS Foundation Trust, have once again rated the
hospital amongst the best in the UK.
The Centre came top in the whole country on five of the areas assessed including
patients having confidence in the decisions made about their condition or
treatment and satisfaction in the length of time on the waiting list. The
Specialist Cancer Hospital also scored within the best performing category on 45
of the 70 questions relevant to its service. There were no areas where it came
The national inpatient survey was completed by more than 83,000 patients aged
over 16 who had spent at least one night in hospital at one of the 149 acute and
specialist NHS trusts across England last summer. They answered a series of
questions aimed at understanding what patients think about the care and
treatment they receive. The results from the survey are a crucial way of
improving quality of care.
Helen Porter, Director of Nursing and Quality at The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre,
said:- "We're 100% committed to delivering safe, effective and high
quality patient care so we are absolutely delighted to see this reflected in
this year's results. We believe the professionalism and expertise of our
staff is 2nd to none; and it is extremely rewarding to see this recognised by
the patients that receive treatment here at our Centre."
Chief Executive Andrew Cannell added:- "Patient feedback is vital in
helping us keep our standards high. The results of this year's survey once again
reflect how our staff are fully committed to providing the best cancer care to
our patients, but we cannot be complacent. We have ambitious plans to build a
new Cancer Hospital in central Liverpool, so will be embarking on a large period
of change for the organisation over the next few years. We want to make sure our
standards remain high throughout the expansion project so will be focusing
efforts on retaining this excellent record on inpatient care."
A full copy of the survey is available by clicking here to visit the Care
Festival Gardens plan set to
THE 1st Phase of work to transform
the former International Festival Gardens in Liverpool is set to be approved.
The City Council took control of the site last year, with the aim of making it a
major visitor and cultural destination together with a limited amount of
The Council wants the site; which is already open to the public as gardens; to
become an extension of the City's Current Cultural, Leisure and Residential Offers.
A report to the Cabinet, on Friday, 10 June 2016, reveals that architects have been
appointed to develop a master plan for the site.
Now the Cabinet is being asked to give the go ahead to remediation work on nine
acres of land adjacent to the Britannia Inn, 7 acres of which could then be
sold for a residential development.
It is estimated that the sale of the land for housing would generate a net
profit to the City Council, when allowing for the cost of treating the ground.
Surveys of the Gardens and southern grasslands are also getting underway to give
a comprehensive understanding of the ground conditions across the whole site,
which will inform the master plan.
Councillor Malcolm Kennedy, Cabinet member for regeneration, said:- "The
International Festival Gardens site has huge potential and had languished for
too long without being properly developed. By taking ownership of the site
we are now in a position to develop a comprehensive plan for its future as a
great visitor and cultural destination also incorporating a limited amount of
housing. We have already seen a glimpse of its potential as a location for
cultural events when we held the Luminous Landscapes festival on the site, which
attracted more than 10,000 people. This is just the start of a long term process
to carefully develop a site which is hugely important to the City and which many
people are very fond of."
Contractors are also working on clearing overgrown vegetation on part of the
site with a view to using it as events space during the summer months, ahead of
remediation starting in the autumn.
Anfield man arrested on
suspicion of double murder
MERSEYSIDE Police have confirmed that enquiries are continuing to formally
identify 2 women who have been found dead at a house in Cathedral Road, Anfield,
Liverpool, on 13 June 2016. Although formal identification of the bodies is yet
to take place, the occupants' next of kin have been informed and specially
trained detectives are providing the family with support at this difficult time.
A 42 year old man, from Anfield remains in custody where he is being interviewed
by detectives from Liverpool CID on suspicion of murder. He was arrested shortly
before 11am, in Liverpool, on 13 June 2016. Home Office post mortem examinations
will be carried out in the coming days to establish a cause of death for both
women. Officers had been deployed to the house, in Cathedral Road, at 9.50am,
after Merseyside Police received a call from someone concerned for the wellbeing
of the 2 women living in the house. On arrival patrols forced entry and found
both women deceased having been assaulted. A dog was also found dead inside the
property. Detectives are initially treating the incident as domestic related,
but extensive enquiries remain on going to establish the full circumstances of
what happened. Anyone with information which could help the Police investigation
is asked to call Liverpool CID on:- 0151 777 4027 or Crimestoppers anonymously
on:- 0800 555 111.