Southport Reporter (R) Bourder
Southport & Mersey Reporter - Mobile

Click on here to go to latest edition's main page.

  Search Edition Archive  

Visit our online shop...

   

Click on to go to our hub website.

Latest Edition   Archive   Shop   Email   Mersey Reporter
Please support our advertiser below...

For more recommended businesses click on here...

Weekly Edition - Published  18 August 2016

 

Local News Report - Mobile Page

 

Firefighters praise swift actions of neighbours who alerted emergency services to Toxteth fire

FIREFIGHTERS have praised the swift actions of neighbours who called:- 999 to alert emergency services to a fire in a flat below theirs.   Crews were called to a fire at a flat on Huskisson Street in Toxteth just before 6am, on Saturday, 6 August 2016. They were able to rescue a 32 year old woman and 2 men, aged 30 and 34, who were immediately taken to Hospital. Their rapid response was due to the vigilance of neighbours from the flat above who heard the fire alarm bleeping and called the fire service immediately. As they made their way out of the building, the same neighbours tried to alert the occupiers of the flat on fire but were overcome with smoke and instead evacuated to safety. Now, firefighters have praised their quick actions and said that had they not acted so quickly the outcome could have been much more serious.

Watch Manager Lee Taylor, who attended the incident, said:- "The couple from the flat above deserve a lot of praise as it is as a direct result of their responsible and timely actions that we were able to rescue the people from the flat below them. The property was fitted with a mains fire alarm system with a smoke detector in the affected flat, which alerted the female occupier of the flat above. She woke her boyfriend and they called the fire service. While making their way out of the building they attempted to alert the occupiers of both the ground-floor flat and the 2nd floor flat, but the smoke was too thick so they evacuated to safety outside. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus arrived and searched the flat before extinguishing the fire with high powered hose reels. Crews rescued 2 men and 1 woman from the flat and all were given oxygen until the ambulance arrived. The 3 people involved all suffered severe smoke inhalation and the woman suffered burns. They were all taken to the Royal Liverpool University Hospital for further checks.  Firefighters also led a 66 year old woman from a 2nd floor flat to safety. She was checked at the scene by paramedics but did not require further medical treatment. Initial investigations indicate that the fire started accidentally in the bedroom on the ground floor flat. This incident would have been a lot more serious had the couple not called:- 999, when they did and we urge anyone who hears a neighbour's smoke alarm bleeping to do the same thing and call the emergency services immediately. Remaining vigilant, acting quickly and calling:- 999, could mean the difference between life and death."

 

News Report Page Quick Flick.

Click on here to go to the mobile menu page for this edition. News Report Page Quick Flick
 

Read this page.

Southport Reporter (R) Bourder


  


 

 

 RSS Our Weekly Headlines

 


(+44)  08443 244 195
Calls to this number may be recorded for security, broadcast, training and record keeping.
 

4a Post Office Ave, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 0US, UK

 

Click on to see our Twitter Feed.  Click on to see our Facebook Page.  Click on to follow our LinkedIn Profile. This website is licence to carry news from Vamphire.com and UK Press Photography. 

This is our media complains system...

We are regulated by IMPRESS, the independent monitor for the UK's press.

How to make a complaint
Complaints Policy
Complaints Procedure
Whistle Blowing Policy

 



Southport Reporter® is the
Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope

...