Southport & Mersey Reporter - Mobile

Click on here to go to latest edition's main page.

  Search Edition Archive  

Visit our online shop...


Click on to go to our hub website.

Latest Edition   Archive   Shop   Email   Mersey Reporter
Please support our advertiser below...


Weekly Edition - Publication date:- 2016-11-17

-en Southport & Mersey Reporter

Local News Report  - Mobile Page


3 men sentenced for the murder of 16 year old, Lewis Dunne

Photo above is Lewis Dunne, supplied by Merseyside Police.

ON Wednesday, 16 November 2016, Jake Culshaw, Paul Martin and John Martin have been sentenced for the murder of 16 year old, Lewis Dunne. Lewis died on 15 November 2015, after being shot as he walked along the towpath of the Leeds/Liverpool Canal in Vauxhall.

Following the sentencing Lewis' parents, Gemma and Steven, released this statement:- "Our beautiful son Lewis was senselessly murdered on November of last year. Lewis was the baby of the family, the centre of our world; he spread love to everyone he met and those who loved him back got the fortune of knowing just how amazing he was. This has been an exceptionally difficult time for our family and we are relieved that justice has been done. We have had a great deal of support from the community and Merseyside Police, especially Detective Superintendent Tom Keaton and the investigation team. We are very grateful for their hard work which has got us to where we are today."

Detective Superintendent Keaton, said:- "Firstly, we'd like to express our deepest sympathy to Lewis' mum and dad (Gemma and Steven) and sisters (Yasmin and Ashley) who are still struggling to come to terms with the tragic loss of their son and brother. Since that tragic night on 15 November 2015, they have suffered immeasurable grief and distress for the senseless murder of Lewis, who was just 16 years old. Now Jake Culshaw, Paul Martin and John Martin have been convicted of his murder after they shot him in the back as he was walking along the tow path of the Leeds Liverpool Canal in Vauxhall. At about 10.30pm Lewis had popped out to meet a friend, who was going to let him use his bike to ride into town and get some cigarettes, but he never returned home. After shooting him in cold blood the three people convicted of his murder, calmly left the scene and further down the canal threw the murder weapon, which had been broken up, into the canal in a bid to get rid of the evidence; the parts of that shotgun were recovered by the Police underwater search team in January 2016 following an extensive search of the canal between Sandhill Lane road bridge and the railway bridge. As the offenders disposed of the weapon a member of the public, who had been walking nearby, and some local residents rushed to Lewis' aid and tried to help him prior to the arrival of the ambulance service. But unfortunately the attempts of the members of the public and the medics were to no avail and Lewis was pronounced dead at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital at 11.37pm. We believe that Lewis was a victim of mistaken identity and that those convicted today believed that he was the member of an opposing group of males. Prior to the murder there had been a series of incidents involving both groups, culminating in violent attacks from both sides, using a multitude of weapons. The cowardly murder of Lewis was their retribution. We know 4 offenders lay in wait under the Vauxhall / Eldonian Bridge on the tow path and when they saw Lewis they believed he was 1 of the group and shot him in the back as he walked by. Ultimately nothing can bring Lewis back, but we hope the family can take some small comfort in the fact that justice has been served. The investigation team and the Crown Prosecution Service have worked tirelessly over the past 11 months to bring this case to court and I would like to thank the prosecuting barristers Ian Unsworth QC and Anya Horwood for their dedication and exceptional presentation of the evidence during the trial. These convictions are the result of a collective determination to bring the killers to justice. But our work doesn't end here. We believe that there were four people who were involved in Lewis' murder and we are determined to find that fourth male. I would appeal to anyone who knows who the 4th male was to contact us so that we can do the right thing by Lewis' family and ensure that all those responsible for the murder are brought to justice. Gun crime has very clear, serious and often tragic consequences. We cannot allow children to fear walking the streets because others don't have the intelligence or common sense to steer clear of guns. We will therefore do everything in our power to continue to take guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals. The rest of the criminal justice system is equally committed to gripping gang and gun crime; which is a concern for the UK as a whole not just Merseyside."

► Jake Culshaw was sentenced to life with a 30 year tariff.
► Paul Martin was sentenced to life with a 30 year tariff.
► John Martin was sentenced to life with a 28 year tariff.


News Report Page Quick Flick.

Click on here to go to the mobile menu page for this edition. News Report Page Quick Flick

Read this page.

Southport Reporter (R) Bourder




 RSS Our Weekly Headlines


(+44)  08443 244 195
Calls to this number may be recorded for security, broadcast, training and record keeping.

4a Post Office Ave, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 0US, UK


Click on to see our Twitter Feed.  Click on to see our Facebook Page.  Click on to follow our LinkedIn Profile. This website is licence to carry news from and UK Press Photography. 

This is our media complains system...

We are regulated by IMPRESS, the independent monitor for the UK's press.

How to make a complaint
Complaints Policy
Complaints Procedure
Whistle Blowing Policy


Southport Reporter® is the
Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope