lies in dust
- Photographs by Patrick
lost its last historic sign of its past independence as demolition
of Formby's Council Offices took place this week. Its fate was
sealed in a committee meeting in July 2000, when the sale of the
site was put forward to the area committee. Despite
overwhelming support to save the building with 5,000 opposed to the
sale, Bootle sold the building to property developers McCarthy &
Stone. In March 2002 they were granted planning permission to pull down
the building. With in the last few days starting on April 22
work commenced. With in 2 days most of the neo-Elizabethan
structure had been reduced to rubble to make way for the controversial
development of 85 retirement flats.
The building had been built in 1926
and completed in 1927, with 2 classrooms, sanitation inspectors
office, surveyor, offices for Clark, committee room and library.
It was used as the main hart of Formby up to 1974 when Sefton took
over local government meetings stopped being held in the
office. The building was then left in a slow state of neglect.
NOW CAN TAKE CREDIT CARD. Pay for adverts, on Southport
All Old Woodworking Tools Wanted.
Workshops cleared. £100 minimum paid for NORRIS planes. Old model or pond yachts wanted. Best Prices Paid. TONY MURLAND 01449 722992.