Southport Reporter (R) Bourder
Southport & Mersey Reporter - Mobile

Click on here to go to latest edition's main page.

  Search Edition Archive  

Visit our online shop...

   

Click on to go to our hub website.

Latest Edition   Archive   Shop   Email   Mersey Reporter
Please support our advertiser below...

For more recommended businesses click on here...

Weekly Edition - Publication date:- 2017-19-08

-en Southport & Mersey Reporter

Local News Report  - Mobile Page

 

RMT confirms a further strike action over safety disputes

BOTH Arriva Rail North and Merseyrail services will again be affected by strike action that is part of a long running dispute over what the Rail Union says are:- "rail safety issues" with the plans to introduce Driver Only Operation trains, know as:- 'DOO Trains,' that both operators plan to bring in very soon. RMT Members will strike between 00:01 hours and 23:59 hours, on Friday, 1 September 2017 and on Sunday, 3 September until 23:59 hours, on Monday, 4 September 2017.

In reference to Arriva Rail North, RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:- "The responsibility for the inevitable disruption lies wholly with the company. We are angry and frustrated that Arriva continue to fail to face up to the facts and also continue to ignore a perfectly reasonable union proposal to invite the DfT to join us in round table talks aimed at finding a solution. The public, who support RMT's campaign for a guarantee of a guard on their trains, will be appalled that Arriva Rail North have failed yet again to offer any kind of progress whatsoever in the talks and have instead opted to try and bulldoze through their plans regardless. It is that flagrant disregard for the safety issues at the heart of the dispute which leaves us with no option but to press on with the campaign of strike action. RMT commends our Arriva Rail North Members on their rock solid display of strength, resolve and unity during the action so far in opposition to the introduction of driver controlled operation and defence of the guards to guarantee a safer, securer and more accessible railway for all. We have no doubt that they our members will remain united and determined as we prepare for the next phase of action. The union continues to remain available for meaningful discussions with the company in order to seek a satisfactory resolution to the on going dispute."

The union said that it was angry and frustrated that Merseyrail continues to turn down a union proposal to set up a "safety working group", alongside outside safety bodies and the train manufacturer Stadler, on the principle that a 2nd safety critical person would be retained on all services.

RMT General secretary Mick Cash said:- "It is disgraceful that Merseyrail continue to refuse all reasonable attempts by the union to settle this dispute. Merseyrail have repeatedly kicked all conciliatory approaches by RMT negotiators back in our faces and made it crystal clear that all that they are interested in is the union signing a surrender document which gives them a free hand to rip apart the safety culture on the railway. It is that cynical and hostile stance from Merseyrail which has left us with no option, but press ahead with a further 3 days of strike action. RMT recognises the severe impact that the action will have but we are dealing with an employer that refuses to listen or engage with the union on the critical issue of safe rail operation and we ask the public to understand that we have no option, but to take this high-profile action to force the company back to the negotiating table. RMT is calling for genuine talks to take place around a safe and sustainable deal that protects the future safety across Merseyrail services. The company should take up that offer of further talks as a matter of urgency. Merseyrail are completely ignoring the clear wishes of their own passengers, who overwhelmingly oppose the idea of Driver Only Operated trains on their network. That pig headed attitude has forced the union's hand and the idea that we would compromise on the fundamental issue of rail safety is absurd. The ball remains firmly in Merseyrail's court."

 

News Report Page Quick Flick.

Click on here to go to the mobile menu page for this edition. News Report Page Quick Flick
 

Read this page.

Southport Reporter (R) Bourder


  


 

 

 RSS Our Weekly Headlines

 


(+44)  08443 244 195
Calls to this number may be recorded for security, broadcast, training and record keeping.
 

4a Post Office Ave, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 0US, UK

 

Click on to see our Twitter Feed.  Click on to see our Facebook Page.  Click on to follow our LinkedIn Profile. This website is licence to carry news from Vamphire.com and UK Press Photography. 

This is our media complains system...

We are regulated by IMPRESS, the independent monitor for the UK's press.

How to make a complaint
Complaints Policy
Complaints Procedure
Whistle Blowing Policy

 



Southport Reporter® is the
Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope

...