Gas Safety Week... Beware of gas poisoning misdiagnosis in Liverpool
THIS Gas Safety Week runs until 24 September
2017. This year
Dr. Ranj Singh is supporting
Gas Safe Register to raise awareness of carbon
monoxide (CO) poisoning and its symptoms as 36% of people in Liverpool would not
recognise them, misdiagnosing symptoms for other illnesses.
CO poisoning is known as the 'silent killer' as it has no smell, taste or
colour, and all the symptoms associated with CO poisoning can easily be mistaken
for something else as today's research shows.
Symptoms which include:- headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness
and loss of consciousness, would be misdiagnosed by many in Liverpool.
When people are asked in Liverpool to pick up the diagnoses, the results where
► 33% said it was Concussion.
► 35% picked
► 31% thought it would be a panic attack.
► 27% picked a stroke.
► 18% diagnose symptoms as the
Gas Safe Register is urging people to learn
the symptoms of potential CO poisoning, and what action to take if they suspect
they or someone in their family may be suffering from it.
Dr. Ranj Singh said:- "You can't see,
taste or smell CO, so it's really important that people become more aware of its
poisoning symptoms. As Gas Safe Register's research has found, many confuse CO
poisoning for other illnesses such as flu, but CO poisoning can be fatal so it's
important that we raise awareness this Gas Safety Week so that families can take
the right precautions and stay safe."
Jo Brooks was experiencing symptoms for several months before realising her
family was suffering from CO poisoning, putting their illness down to a virus
that wouldn't go away. When they finally got a gas safety check, they found that
a loose flue was leaking CO back into their home. She said:- "Every
morning I'd stagger to work and feel like I was hung-over even when I hadn't had
anything to drink. I put it down to a nasty virus. After the gas safety check,
we got a brand new central heating system, more CO alarms around the house and
we now make sure we set a reminder for our annual gas safety check by a
registered engineer. I know we are incredibly lucky and that it could have
been a lot worse for us. I urge all families to make sure they know the symptoms
of CO poisoning and make sure they get an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe
registered engineer as part of their routine to keep their family safe."
Jonathan Samuel, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said:-
"CO can leak from badly fitted or poorly maintained gas appliances. We recommend
proactive prevention as the first line of defence against CO poisoning by
getting your gas appliances checked every year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer
to make sure they're working safely and efficiently. To provide peace of mind, a
CO alarm is a great second line of defence to alert you to a potential leak."
Gas Safe Register recommends taking the following
action if you suspect you might be suffering from CO poisoning:-
► Leave the house and get fresh air immediately.
Open doors and windows.
Turn off gas appliances
Call the Gas Emergency Helpline on:- 0800 111 999.
See your Doctor immediately or go to Hospital.
If suffering from CO poisoning, most people in
Liverpool know to open the windows (72%), leave the house to get fresh air
(78%), and contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to come and see if there's a
Gas Safety Week 2017 is taking place from 18 September 2017. Search #GSW17 on social
media for more top tips on how to stay gas safe.
To find out about dangers in your area visit:-
StayGasSafe.Co.UK and to find a
Gas Safe registered engineer via calling:- 0800 408 5500.