49% of the North West 'too busy'
to wash their hands
56% of the North West think there
should be more measures in place to control infection.
The research was conducted by Sterillo who make what is claimed to be the world's most hygienic hand dryer.
The study found that 35% in the region
worried if they got sick that treatment from the NHS wouldn't be available.
Despite these concerns 41% in the North West admitted that they have gone to
work when they have been ill and possibly contagious.
Handwashing correctly is another problem. Despite 75% of respondents saying they
had been shown how to wash their hands properly, 57% do not wash them for 20
seconds or more; the minimum amount of time required to clean hands effectively
to avoid spreading germs. Alarmingly, 49% admitted they sometimes forget, or are
too busy to wash their hands after they go to the toilet!
A lack of education is also exacerbating the problem. 62% of those surveyed did
not know that if someone coughs or sneezes the highly contagious flu virus can
remain on surfaces for 24 hours.
This may be why 63% would like to see better hygiene education in Schools, while
55% said there should be campaigns on effective hand washing. 55% would welcome
the implementation of a washroom hygiene standard, as well as workplace policies
to keep viruses at home.
65% were aware that public washrooms are a likely place to pick up a virus.
Whilst a whopping 77% correctly believed an unclean washroom was an even more
likely place to catch the flu. Smelly toilets, most believed (78%) indicated
they were also dirty. Despite this awareness of bad smells and unclean
conditions being signs of harbouring illnesses, 34% said they are less likely to
wash their hands in an unclean public washroom.
Steve Levy, Inventor of the Sterillo says:- "Effective handwashing can't
be achieved in an unclean environment, even if the public did always use these
facilities to wash their hands they would likely still be contaminated. This is
why we are seeing outbreaks with viruses like flu and even worse the Aussie Flu.
We need a hygiene standard in place to assist with infection control."