The Epilepsy Society asks would
you know what to do if someone has an epileptic seizure?
NOW the answer is in your hands! As mobile
internet takes over desktop usage Epilepsy Society is highlighting
its first step by step guides on its phone app and on YouTube.
Amanda Cleaver, Epilepsy Society’s communications manager, said:-
“New technology is key when it comes to giving people first aid
information at their fingertips. One in 20 of us will have a seizure
at some point in our lives and around one in every hundred people
has epilepsy, so there is every chance that sooner or later you may
be that person needed to give a helping hand to someone having a
seizure. First aid knowledge can save lives and prevent people with
epilepsy from seriously injuring themselves. Epilepsy Society makes
first aid knowledge easily available. We offer free downloadable
apps for smart phones - just search ‘epilepsy society’ on your app
store. If YouTube is your thing, our step by step recovery position
guide can help you know what to do when a seizure has finished.
epilepsysociety.org.uk to learn
The charity also provides free handy credit sized first aid card for
people to carry in their purse or wallet for people not so keen on
new technology and a new first aid poster can also be ordered from
the charity’s online shop.
Most seizures happen without warning, last only a short time and
stop without any special treatment. The majority of people with
epilepsy do not experience seizures once the right anti-epileptic
drug treatments have been found, but for some it is not so easy to
control. Here’s how you can help if you see someone having a
Check your watch to note the time.
Cushion the person’s head.
Put them into the recovery position after the convulsions (shaking)
Stay with them until they have recovered and their breathing has
gone back to normal.
If the seizure doesn’t stop after 5 minutes call an ambulance.
If in doubt, call 999 for an ambulance!
Don’t hold them down.
Don’t put anything in their mouth.
Don’t move them unless they are in direct danger.
community workers to join Carbon monoxide Awareness group
THE Runcorn based founder of the Carbon
Monoxide Awareness charity, Lynn Griffiths is asking local
organisations working in the community to come together to prevent
deaths and injuries from the UK's most common poison.
The charity is asking anyone working across Halton to join a group
that will meet twice yearly to discuss ways of raising awareness of
Carbon Monoxide. The first meeting is being hosted at Halton Housing
Trust Offices in Runcorn on Friday, 16 September 2011, between
9:30am and 11:30am.
Working with Halton Housing Trust, the area’s largest single
provider of rented housing, the charity is looking for local members
from across Halton. Members will act as ambassadors to raise
awareness of Carbon Monoxide poisoning amongst their employees and
Lynn Griffiths, a Halton mum of four and President of Carbon
Monoxide Awareness, said:- “Carbon monoxide poisoning is not
necessarily the first thing that someone visiting someone in their
own home will think of when presented with even a classic case. We
know from contact with surviving victims and bereaved relatives that
all too often people receive poor advice, investigation and
treatment after their encounter with carbon monoxide. Unless we do
something to improve the overall awareness, cases of exposure to
this common and potentially deadly poison will continue to be poorly
recognised, particularly in the initial stages, and the tragedy of
avoidable illness and deaths will continue.”
Nick Atkin, Chief Executive at Halton Housing Trust said:- “As a
provider of housing services to over 12,000 people in the borough we
have a duty of care to both our customers and also our employees who
live and work in our homes. We have been proud supporters of Lynn
and her work for a number of years and are keen to create a strong
community group for the area to spread the message as far as we
Dr. Ed. Walker, a medical advisor for the charity said:-
“Carbon Monoxide is unique among poisons. It is lethal even in small
amounts, yet is commonly found in homes and workplaces all over the
world. As a society we are probably less aware of its dangers than
we were 50 years ago, and unless that changes people will continue
to die and be severely disabled.”
The charity is concerned that organisations are sending employees
into homes without sufficient training or equipment to manage the
risk Carbon Monoxide poisoning poses. It is vital that anyone going
about their daily work, which involves home visits are issued with
personal Carbon Monoxide monitors as a matter of routine.
Anyone interested in attending this meeting or the UK one should
contact Lynn Griffiths on:- 07715899296 or via