Court backs Council's demolition plan for most severely damaged New Ferry
THE buildings most severely damaged by the New Ferry explosion, in March
2017, will be demolished shortly, following a Court Order being issued.
Birkenhead magistrates last week granted a Council order to bring down
properties from 56 to 66 Bebington Road due to the severity of the damage.
Owners of the affected properties have until 3 August 2017, to appeal the decision.
If no appeals are made, contractors will be instructed to move onto the site and
begin the demolition. The damaged buildings have been behind a secured cordon
since the explosion, that happened on 25 March 2017.
The costs of the demolition work will be met by property owners or their
The affected properties are a mixture of ground floor businesses with
residential accommodation above. Affected residents are now in alternative
accommodation and work to find new premises for all displaced businesses is
Also last week, Wirral Council was informed by central Government that its
request for financial assistance on behalf of New Ferry residents and businesses
had been turned down. Council Officers continue to meet with New Ferry residents and businesses
affected by the explosion on a regular basis; the latest took place this
evening; and work on a long term regeneration plan for the Town is progressing.
Payment kiosks being removed from Municipal Buildings
PAYMENT kiosks are being removed from the One Stop Shop, at Municipal
Buildings, Liverpool, with people able to pay at more than 400
locations across the City instead.
They are being decommissioned, on Friday 28 July 2017, with customers able to use the
City's 57 Post Offices or 348 PayPoint outlets in local shops instead. As well
as being more convenient for customers, it will also save the City Council more than ₤35,000 a year in transaction costs.
Regular users of the payment kiosks have been informed and communication has
also been sent directly to cash paying customers, together with information on
the Council's website.
The One Stop Shop at Municipal Buildings is due to move to a new location, at St
John's Market, within the City Centre, in October 2017, following the recent sale of the
building. Assistant Director for Revenues and Benefits, Martin Jungnitz, said:-
"This is about offering people the option to pay for Council services at a place
that is more convenient to them, rather than expecting them to come into the
City Centre. We have taken steps to let those affected know in good time to
enable them to plan for the changes."
Court ruling is victory for workers in the North West
THE Supreme Court has quashed the Government's system of fees for
The case was taken by the UNISON trade union, which successfully argued that the
fees; which can be as high as ₤1,200 per case; prevented many workers from
enforcing their employment rights.
Employment tribunals in the North West had fallen by 69% since the introduction
of fees. 6,072 individual claims were made before fees were introduced in 2013,
but in comparison only 1,869 were made in the most recent year.
The most common reasons for employment tribunal cases include:- unfair dismissal,
holiday pay, and sex discrimination.
TUC Regional Secretary for the North West Lynn Collins said:- "This is a
massive win for working people in the North West. Congratulations to UNISON for
doggedly pursuing this case. Today's result shows the value of working people
standing together in trade unions. Low paid workers across the North West
were priced out of justice, even when they've been faced with harassment or have
been sacked unfairly. Tribunal fees have been a bonanza for bad bosses, giving
them free rein to mistreat staff. The Government must now refund all past
fees as soon as possible."
Caution urged over 'make a Will by text message' proposal
A proposal that could see emails, text messages and voicemails used to
make legally binding Wills could be 'fraught with pitfalls' according to
The Law Commission recently launched a consultation into whether modern
communication methods could be recognised by courts in a bid to relax rules
which are many years old and encourage more people to make a Will.
It is part of a wider examination of the current legal system for making Wills,
which is also looking at ways to better protect vulnerable people such as those
Now Elizabeth Byrne, head of the Wills and Estate Planning team at Napthens
solicitors, has warned that the proposals would mean an overhaul of the way
Wills are put together.
She explained:- "At the moment, Wills have to be executed in accordance
with the procedure laid out in the Wills Act 1837, which means a Will must be
made in writing and signed by the person making it, in the presence of 2
independent persons who must sign as witnesses. So often we have the situation
where people expect a hastily written letter to be a valid Will, but if it isn't
executed in accordance with the Act it simply doesn't count. To go from that to
emails or texts being a valid way of producing a Will is a monumental change. I
can appreciate that when we're working to a law that is nearly 200 years old
there needs to be change to reflect modern lifestyle changes, but on the upside
the current system does give certainty and reduced the risk of contested Wills.
These days contested Wills are on the increase, and these plans may not help
this situation. However, being talked about doesn't mean changes will actually
happen, but I do think we may well see some relaxation of the rules and,
hopefully, added protection for more vulnerable people, and this is to be
McDonalds restaurant near Switch Island has had a failed robbery
MERSEYSIDE Police Detectives are appealing for information after a failed
robbery that took place at a McDonalds restaurant near Switch Island, on 23 July
2017. We are told that around 9.15am, 2 males entered the restaurant and jumped
over the serving counter before entering the office, that is located at the rear
of the premises. The pair are then said to have threatened the manager and a
cash delivery guard before stealing the cash boxes from them. As they left the
restaurant 1 of the offenders fell over, dropping the cash boxes. He and his
accomplice then drove off in a black BMW which was later found abandoned in
Bootle. We are told that no 1 was injured during the attempted robbery, but
staff and customers were left distressed by what happened. The offenders are
described as tall with their faces and hands covered. It is believed they were
carrying some sort of weapon or weapons. Patrols are searching for the pair
while detectives make enquiries at the scene, including:- CCTV, forensic
examinations and speaking to witnesses. Anyone who was in the McDonalds or
nearby at the time who witnessed the incident or captured any camera footage of
it is asked to call Merseyside Police on:- 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on:-
0800 555 111.