Southport Reporter ® Online Newspaper for Merseyside
Southport and Mersey Reporter- Your online only weekly Newspaper.
Your Online Newspaper for the Merseyside Area.

Click on to see our Twitter Feed.  Click on to see our Facebook Page.  Click on to follow our LinkedIn Profile.  This website is licence to carry news from Vamphire.com and UK Press Photography. 


Latest Edition Archive Shop Order Photos Help Group Hub

 

Click here to access your advert administration page.
Advertisers  Admin
 

Click here to get seen in our 'Business Index' and also to get on our banner system oppersite and pay online today via 'Pay Pal'...!
Advert Options

 
Updated news stories weekly.  Published online only, once a week!

Your online newspaper.   Your words.

Issue:- Monday, 25 April 2016

If you are on a mobile phone, you can click here for our mobile copy of this edition.

If you have got this page on a mobile, please click here to see this edition on the new mobile format.

It has not been a blast in Seaforth

IT may appear funny at 1st, but in reality it just isn't, for over the weekend, 2 tower blocks in Seaforth, Merseyside where due to be demolished simultaneously, but sadly for both the demolition company and residents, this was not going to go to plan. One local resident said:- "These towers have been making problems ever since they got constructed and even now, when being removed, they are creating problems."

As the countdown took place, on Sunday, 24 April 2016 and residents in the exclusion zone had been moved to a safe area, all looked good. Then the charges went off, but neither of the blocks fell. At 1st, not knowing whether to laugh or cry, the demolition company's experts were stumped when the 1st controlled explosions failed. Then, a few hours later, as they started to find out what had gone wrong, without warning, 1 of the 15 storey tower blocks, Churchill House, suddenly collapsed! The other block remained standing over night, apparently looking intact, but in reality it posed a massive danger to both work crews and residents alike. A spokesperson for the Widnes company, which supplied the demolition squad, trading as J. Bryan (Victoria) Ltd for 15 years, told the crowd of spectators and residents that they had:- "experienced delays" and that they were trying:- "to get as many people safely back into their homes as possible." Sadly, for some, the failure to collapse the other block, Montgomery House, meant that all the people living on Claremont Road could not return home. This resulted in anger and frustration from some of those involved. The residents in the affected area had to be accommodated in a hotel for the night. One Vision Housing, which owns the property, then tweeted a statement from J. Bryan (Victoria) Ltd. that can be read by clicking on this link.

Monday at around 3 o'clock, charges were again fired, but nothing really happened; then as heavy duty JCB demolition plant equipment pulled on large cables attached to the building to try and get Montgomery House's structure to buckle. Next, despite the demolition team working valiantly in unthinkable danger, only a partial collapse of the North East section of the Seaforth tower block was achieved. The efforts at that point only made the structure even more dangerous and work had to stop to enable some structural engineers to reassess the situation. "It remained defiant. This block is Scouse, it truly wants to be remembered and will fight to stay alive, no matter what you throw at it..." 1 of the affected residents joked in despair. When asked why so many affected residents are joking about it by a member of the national press, he replied:- "Well what can you so? Laugh or cry? At least it gets us out of the house!": A typical Liverpool black humour response. So again, over Monday Night the people living on Claremont Road had to go to a hotel for another night. Both One Vision Housing and A J Bryan spokesperson have yet again thanked all the inconvenienced residents for their patience. Work is expected to continue to perform a "controlled collapse" of the remaining parts of the tower block.

Just before publication we have been told that J. Bryan (Victoria) Ltd. will now be doing a phased demolition of the remaining structure of Montgomery House. One Vision has said that:- "everything is being done for those residents affected by the ongoing exclusion zone. We have been told that the residents are now being made as comfortable as possible with hotel accommodation, food, drink and other provisions." One Vision have also said that:- "staff continue to be in attendance at the hotels to ensure that those residents have the relevant support and access to information. We have been told residents who live in the exclusion zone, they should contact One Vision Housing on:- 0300 365 1111, should they require further information or assistance." We would love to know if you are one of the residents affected and if this is the case.

Click on this link to see more photographs of the 3rd attempt to pull the block down.

Are you affected by this? Do you have any memories of the Tower Blocks you would like to share with us? If you have any memories, views or thoughts, please email us to:- News24@SouthportReporter.Com..

 

Hillsborough Inquest Jury reaches decision

IT was on 15 April 1989, that at a football match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield, to lead to disaster killing 96 people and injured 766 others. Ever since many deeply disturbing questions about the human crush that caused the deaths of so many, who was to blame, why and how it happened has been a matter of major political and social debate ever since. It has been a very long road for the families of the 96, but the final and definitive Hillsborough Inquest will release its findings on 26 April 201, after the Jury reached a majority decision on whether the Hillsborough deaths of the disaster victims were unlawful. Jurors had already reached unanimous conclusions for 13 of the questions, but could not decide on the last question until Tuesday. This decision, no matter what it is will be a painful one. This has been the longest running inquest in British legal history. At the hearing in Warrington, Cheshire, Coroner Sir John Goldring began his summing up back in 25 January 2016 and spoke to the jury for 26 days in total. Now whatever they decide will dictate history and any future action. Whatever, the sorrow of the victims' families and friends and indeed the anger and frustration has been compounded by a woeful neglect of justice, over an extensive time. Hopefully the final verdict, when delivered will give some resolution and one hopes that the situation will never ever occur again. We hope to bring you more via out Email News Updates, which can be accessed via Formby Reporter, via our Twitter account, as well as any other information that comes in, related to the inquest findings over the 26 April 2016.

KEEP up-2-date
with our free daily news emails. 

Are you subscribed? Sign up today to our daily email news service via... Formby-Reporter.com

If you subscribed you can keep in up-to-date with what's going on in and around Merseyside.  It is free and we do not send out massive amounts of emails. Your email is kept under the UK's Data Protection Act, so you can be sure that you will not have problems from your information being passed on to 3rd parties.
Click on to find out more NOW!!!

--- MORE NEWS REPORTS BELOW ---

Click on to find out more!

RBL Women's Section 95th Annual Conference - Southport 2016!

THIS was very historic Royal British Legion Women's Section National..Click on here to find out more...

Runners urged to join leading 1st aid charity's marathon effort to save lives
LFC fan's aim to 'Walk On' after cancer battle
Last chance to win £150k for Southport community makeover
Construction workloads drop in the North West as confidence in the sector falls
Merseyside Police comment on Bomb hoaxer David Norris sentencing
Are you do do you know the next of kin of Samuel Kelly?
John Durkin from Southport is sentenced over historic sex offences
3 arrested and house raided following routine stop of a car in Toxteth
Man on a roof bailed
Plans for more digital screens to be installed
Something for everyone at Wirral Walking Festival
Ultra High Definition operating theatre opens at the Royal
LightNight Liverpool 2016 announces commissions programme
Aintree's Golf Centre officially opens UK FootGolf Course
Brand new reality TV show casting in your area!
184 weapons and ammunition handed handed in during firearms surrender
Southport men are bailed on suspicion of cyber crime
'Let's Hang On' as Award winning show is heading back to St Helens Theatre Royal
Merseyside Police comment following sentencing a 24 year old who burgled a 92 year old's home
Liverpool Icon Images to go on display with new Photography Festival partner
Talented Trio Unite for an 'Evening of magical Music' at the Epstein Theatre
Digital radio listeners in Liverpool have improved DAB digital radio coverage

Celebrating the Queen's Birthday in Formby

What's there to laugh about?
Annual St George's Day Parade - Southport
RBL Women's Section 95th Annual Conference - Southport 2016
Complete with trademark Pork Pie Hats and sunglasses, the legendary Blues Brothers are back and on a new mission!
Letters to the Editor:- "NHS Choir says no to Junior Doctor Contracts"
British Gymnastic Championships in Liverpool
Did you see the Electric Light Orchestra, aka 'ELO' live in Liverpool?
Did you see or hear the explosion and flame in Southport?
G-EAZY is heading to Manchester as part of 6 night tour of UK
Fresh Evening Entertainment at Cholmondeley Power and Speed
Letters to the Editor:- "Junior Doctor Contracts"
Wirral mental health unit gets safari visit
Merseyside firefighters teach water safety to schoolchildren and students during Drowning Prevention Week
It has not been a blast in Seaforth - Photographs

Click on to find out all about this news item...

The Vamps play in Liverpool

THE Vamps are a British pop rock band that needs no introduction... Click on here to find out more.

Click on to read an exclusive interview with Liverpool based Scream Streets author...
Click on to read on!
Click on to find out what this photo is all about!
Click on to read on!
  
Click on to find out how you can order photographs from this issue.

YOU CAN ORDER PHOTOS CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT HOW!

 
...HAPPY BIRTHDAY...


Email us to put your or a friends birthday in one of our editions...
 

If you have someone you want to say happy birthday to, for free, then use the email address below to send us the names you want us say happy birthday to, and/or a photograph.  Email us today!

Click on here to get your tickets today!

See SPACE live in Southport!
 

Click here to get tickets!

B.O.A. 70th Anniversary DVD

Click on to buy now...THE video footage we have taken at the 70th BOA events this year in Liverpool has now been fully edited is available to buy, on a DVD, from our Online Shop, on Mersey Reporter very soon.  For each DVD sold, £3.00 will go to the Liverpool's Lord Mayor's Charity Appeal. (Registered Charity No. 229539)  At this stage we can only do UK postage options, but if you are outside the UK, you can still order copies, but only via emailing our newsroom at:- news24@merseyreporter.com with your FULL address and we will get back to you with a postage cost and a payment link, should you wish to continue.

Click on this section to see last weeks edition of Southport and Mersey Reporter!

Please show us how much you like our news and help us to keep this site online, thank you.

If you like the photos o0 this website then please order them and do not copy them.  Help to keep this site online.  Click on here to find out out you can get you copy of these photos.

 

 

Contact us:-
(+44)  08443 244 195
Calls will cost 7p per minute, plus your telephone company's access charge.
Calls to this number may be recorded for security, broadcast, training and record keeping.

RSS  Weekly Headline Update Notices

  
News24@SouthportReporter.com
4a Post Office Ave, Southport, Merseyside, PR9 0US, UK
 
This online newspaper and information service is regulated by IMPRESS, the independent monitor for the UK's press.

This online newspaper and information service is regulated by IMPRESS the independent monitor for the UK's press.

How to make a complaint

This is our process:-  Complaints Policy  -  Complaints Procedure  -  Whistle Blowing Policy

 

See the view live webcamera images of the road outside our studio/newsroom in the hart of Southport.

Our live Southport Webcam image above.
To see it live, please click on image.

Event Notices

More events that are taking place on Merseyside can be found on our Event Listings Calendar.

Find out whats on in and around Merseyside! Click on here to see our event calendar.
Are you going to this event?  If you are please let us know what you thought of it!

These are our other websites within the Southport & Mersey Reporter Network.

Mersey Reporter - OUR HUB WEBSITE. Liverpool Reporter - Our online music station. Southport TV - Our online video archive.
Mersey Reporter Formby Reporter Liverpool Reporter Southport TV
 

 

Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy - Terms & Conditions

© - Southport Reporter® is the Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope

..